Abuja explosion: Bomb was thrown from a moving vehicle
The Improvised Explosive Device (IED) that exploded at Wuse District of Abuja, on Friday night was thrown from a moving vehicle, the FCT Commissioner of Police, Aderele Shinaba has confirmed.
According to officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), there were no casualties from the explosion.
NEMA’s spokesman, Mr. Yushau Shuaib confirmed that explosion happened at about 10 minutes to midnight.
Confirming the attack to Channels Television, the Deputy Police Public Relations officer, Mr Frank Mba, said that the explosion was from a low level IED.
He also said that “crowd control at the scene of the explosion was perfect, thereby resulting in no loss of life.”
The PPRO assured residents of the FCT that “the police is working hard with other security agencies to ensure that Abuja residents enjoy the peace that they’ve always enjoined in the city.”
The bomb explosion in the nation’s capital, occurred just hours after President Goodluck Jonathan dismissed the National Security Adviser, Retired General Patrick Owoeye Azazi and appointed Retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki, to replace him. The president also dismissed the Minister of Defence, Mohammed Bello Haliru.
Officials of NEMA and security agents have cordoned the area and cleared the damaged vehicles.
No arrest has been made and no group has claimed responsibility for the action.
Earlier that day, a bomb scare around the Wuse Zone 5 area of the FCT caused a pandemonium, at midday forcing the evacuation of offices and buildings in the commercial area of the nation’s capital.
Abuja has been hit by a number of bomb scares as well as coordinated bomb attacks since the October 1, 2010 bomb blast.