The first killing according to eyewitness account, occurred when two of the gunmen joined their Mosque for the early morning prayers. The gunmen allegedly shot a worshiper at close range, who died on the spot.
A few hours after the first attack, a local Islamic cleric was trailed to another mosque by a set of gunmen, who opened fire on the worshippers.
The cleric was shot dead before officers of Joint Task Force, with the code-name, Operation Flush II arrived at the scene.
The officers cordoned off the area to prevent further attacks and killings.
Confirming the incidents in Maiduguri, spokesman of Borno State Police Command, Mr. Gideon Jibrin, said it was true that gunmen attacked two separate Mosques in Biu.
The attacks and killings, he said, occurred Monday night and in the early hours of Tuesday, when the police headquarters received reports from the Biu Police Area Commander, indicating that two persons, including an Islamic cleric, were killed by unknown gunmen, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect.
He said no arrests had been made, adding that providing information to the police will help in apprehending the culprits.