The Supreme Court in Nigeria has been told that the out-of-court settlement between the Federal Government and the 36 states of the federation over the dispute arising from the maintenance of the Excess Crude Account and the transfer of one billion dollars from the account to the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) has collapsed for the second time.
At the resumed hearing, counsel to the Federal Government, Austin Alegeh, told the court that settlement between parties have collapsed and in view of that brought an application requesting that the court should amend his statement of defence.
Lawyer to the state governors, Mr Adegboyega Awomolo, however, told the court that the application filed by the Federal Government was only a ploy to delay the hearing of the suit.
The Supreme Court had earlier granted a request by the parties to settle the matter out of court and to explore an amicable resolution of the disagreement.
With the breakdown in talks, the Supreme Court consequently fixed September 23 for the hearing of the application brought by the defendant seeking to amend its statement of defence.