INTRODUCTION TO THE NATIONAL GREEN ESSAY COMPETITION
The Uplift Development Foundation – which was founded by the wife of the Governor of Ogun State, Mrs. Olufunso Amosun – in partnership with the Channels BookClub (Channels TV), is organizing the 1st National Green Essay Competition.
The aims of the competition are to generally create an awareness of the need to save the earth, promote Green Education among young Nigerians and encourage a reading culture.
The essay competition will be based on the book titled “Green Education For The Youth” (GEFTY) written by Mrs. Amosun as part of her contribution towards getting all Nigerian youths on board the mission of sustaining the environment and saving it from total degradation.
Students between the ages of 11 and 16 in Nigerian Schools.
ENTRY CRITERIA / PROCEDURE
- Candidates must be bona fide students of any Nigerian secondary school (Primary school students who fall within this age range and demonstrate competence are also eligible)
- Candidates must download and fill an entry form for the competition from www.channelstv.com. Please click here to download the form.
- Candidates must send, by email, the following:
- The filled entry form (in 2 above)
- A scanned copy of a recent passport photograph
- A scanned copy of the candidate’s last school academic report or score sheet in the last academic year.
- The above requirements should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the 15th of August, 2014
NOTE: ALL ENTRIES WILL BE VALIDATED BY AN INDEPENDENT PANEL OF JUDGES. ONLY CANDIDATES WHO QUALIFY SHOULD APPLY. CANDIDATES MUST ENSURE THE ESSAYS ARE THEIR OWN ORIGINAL WORKS.
a) Candidates should read the book titled “Green Education for The Youth” (GEFTY) written by Mrs Olufunso Amosun. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO GET THE BOOK. Limited copies are available and can be accessed from the offices of the Commissioner of Education in all the 36 states in Nigeria plus the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
b) Candidates should write an essay that is not more than 1,500 words which will be submitted electronically.
c) The submitted essay must have: a title; the candidate’s full name; and the candidate’s contact number. The essay must be properly formatted.
d) By entering the competition, candidates agree to transfer the copyright of the submitted essay to Uplift Development Foundation and the Channels Book Club giving the organisers the right to reproduce, distribute and broadcast the essay in printed, electronic or any other medium, and in turn to authorise others to do the same. The organisers will also have the right to edit the essays as deemed appropriate for publishing.
e) Each candidate must promise that the essay is his or her original work. If it contains material such as previously published works, the material must be clearly identified and acknowledged within the text. Candidates must not engage in plagiarism.
f) The organisers will reserve the right to withhold the prizes if the standard of the essays submitted is not of sufficient merit.
SEMI-FINAL AND FINAL STAGES
- The best candidates from each state and the best candidate from the FCT (totalling 37) will be shortlisted and published in the Newspapers and announced on Channels TV.
- They will be contacted in person and notified of where to go for their semi-final competition.
- The 37 Semi-Finalists will have an oral and written competition and 2 finalists from each of the 6 geopolitical zones and the finalist from the Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria (totalling 13) will be picked as Winners.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF WRITTEN ESSAYS
All completed essays should be submitted latest by 15th of August, 2014. The essays should be sent to email@example.com.
• The competition is be supervised by an independent panel of judges. The judges are experts in green education and active participants in the literary industry in Nigeria.
• Their task will be to assess the quality of the essays submitted and the writers of the essays.
• They also serve as umpires to ensure that the rules of the competition are adhered to.
The assessment of the entries will be based on the following:
• Depth of understanding of the subject matter as illustrated in the book – 10 points
• Accuracy of grammar and vocabulary – 10 points
• Organisation, Coherence and cohesion – 10 points
• Facts & Research – 10 points
• The 13 finalists will be taken on an all-expense paid trip to Europe, to train them as future GEFTY ambassadors and on basic lifestyle changes applicable to sustaining the environment in their various local communities.
• On return, they will be publicly decorated as GEFTY Ambassadors and equipped to share and impact their newly acquired knowledge on other students.
FOR MORE ENQUIRIES PLEASE CALL • 0909 532 4915 • 0909 532 4916