Rivers United Technical Manager, Stanley Eguma has praised his team’s mental strength, following their qualification for the group stage of the CAF Confederation Cup.
The Port Harcourt based Rivers United, held Rayon Sports to a goalless draw in the second leg in Rwanda to seal a 2-0 aggregate victory and afterwards, Eguma lauded his players for not panicking and sticking to the game plan despite being reduced to 10 men on 57 minutes.
Rivers, who are the only Nigerian team left on the continent, complete the lineup for the group phase of the Confed Cup ahead of the draw scheduled for Wednesday April 26 in Cairo, Egypt.
South Africa’s branch of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has called for due course to be followed in the case of a Nigerian pastor who was arrested on Thursday in the country.
Pastor Timothy Omotoso, who appeared in a Port Elizabeth Court on Friday over alleged assault and human trafficking, was denied bail.
He is to remain behind bars until the case resumes on May 3, 2017.
The CAN representatives who spoke to Channels Television correspondent in South Africa expressed worry that the development may trigger more anti-Nigerian sentiments in the country, if not properly handled.
The 58-year-old televangelist of the Jesus Dominion International Ministries was arrested by operatives of the Priority Crimes Unit of the South African Police Service (The Hawks).
He was picked up over allegations of sex crimes and human trafficking involving about 30 female congregants, after some young members of his congregation alleged that the clergyman had sexually molested them for years.
An investigative feature on South Africa’s national broadcaster last Monday showed three girls who claimed to have been his victims.
One of them who is now 25, claimed that the alleged molestation began when she was 14 years old.
In a statement, The Hawks said the pastor reportedly trafficked the young women from various branches of his church to a house in Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal where he allegedly exploited them sexually.
Chairman Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Dino Melaye, has applauded President Mohammadu Buhari’s suspension of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr David Babachir Lawal, and the Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayo Oke.
He made this known in an interview on Channels Television’s breakfast show, Sunrise Daily.
“I’ll start by saying, that was a very fantastic move by Mr President, I welcome the suspension, especially that of the SGF, and though very belated, it’s a welcome development and I congratulate the President for taking such a bold step and we hope that decisions would also be taken in this manner on some other pending controversial issues.
Speaking on the “other pending issues”, he explained that “there are a lot of individuals that have been investigated or not cleared by the Nigerian Senate and we expect that with unity of purpose as enshrined in the constitution between the legislature and the executive, the executive should be more proactive especially in decision making.
“A times, when you delay in taking some decisions, it creates some bad blood and it discourages the spirit of the fight against corruption because when you delay very important decisions, it begins to send a signal that we are being lackadaisical in the fight against corruption.”
While also praising the President, he expressed dissatisfaction over the committee that was set up to investigate the issues surrounding the suspension.
“The President has done well by the suspension but I do not subscribe to the committee that was set up by Mr President,” Melaye said.
According to him, this was because he expected the President to wait for the report of the Senate on the SGF especially when there had already been a communication between the Presidency and the Senate, requesting for a final report.
“I do not understand why a new committee would be set up to look into the matter when already the President is expecting a final report from the legislature and we are doing this within the confines of the constitution.”
He however noted that the committee is currently working assiduously to complete their investigation regardless, and he gave the assurance that the revelations would be sterling.
The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has postponed its national convention indefinitely.
In a statement released by its spokesman, Mr Bolaji Abdullahi, on January 18 after a National Working Committee meeting, the party had announced that the convention would hold in April.
The reason for the postponement of the convention is said to be due to the inability of the APC National Executive Committee (NEC) to hold its meeting, which according to the structure of the party should naturally take place before a convention.
The APC spokesman told Channels Television that the logistics of the whole arrangement has stalled the much needed meeting of the party’s topmost organ to decide on crucial issues, such as filling the vacancies which emerged due to political appointments, deaths and resignations.
Congresses to fill vacancies in the state party structures across Nigeria may also be affected by the development.
The APC is under intense pressure to find a suitable date early enough, so as not to contravene its own constitution which stipulates that the party’s convention should hold once in two years.
Domestic flights have resumed operations into the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, following the re-opening of the runway to traffic.
Passengers aboard a domestic flight expressed delight at being able to fly directly into the capital city, and applauded the timely rehabilitation of the facility.
They, however, appealed to the Federal Government to urgently consider the construction of a second runway for the airport, in addition to regular maintenance of the newly rehabilitated one.
Speaking to Channels Television, the Minister of Agriculture, Audu Ogbeh, lauded the prompt decision of the government to rehabilitate the airport.
“We must thank the agencies: The Ministries of Transport, Aviation, Works, and other Nigerians who gave the support. The greatest thing is we thank God that we didn’t wait for a disaster to happen in Abuja before we took that decision,” he said.
The spokesman for the All Progressives Congress, Mr Bolaji Abdullahi, also said: “The last couple of weeks have been quite challenging for some of us who fly quite frequently, the logistics of having to go to Kaduna and all that; but I think it has been managed quite effectively”.
The Oniyani of Iyani Akoko, Oba Joel Daodu, who was abducted recently by gunmen along Owo/Ikare- Akoko highway in Ondo State, has been released.
Confirming the release, spokesman for the Ondo State Police Command, Mr Femi Joseph, said the monarch was seen walking by the roadside in Ayede-Ogbese, a small town along the Akure-Owo highway.
He noted that the traditional ruler has been taken to the police station in his town, adding that investigation is ongoing to unravel the circumstances around his abduction and apprehend his kidnappers.
Mr Joseph, however, told Channels Television that Oba Daodu did not inform the Police that any payment was made before he was released.
The abductors were said to have demanded for five million Naira as ransom to secure his release, a sum which was reportedly reduced to three million Naira.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Ondo State Governor, Segun Ajiboye, also confirmed the release of the traditional ruler to Channels Television.
The lawmaker representing Kogi West senatorial district, Dino Melaye, has cried out over an alleged assassination attempt on his life by gunmen at his residence in Aiyetoro-Gbede Ijumu Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.
Speaking to Channels Television, Senator Melaye accused the Administrator of Aiyetoro-Gbede Ijumu LGA, Honourable Taofiq Isa, of masterminding the attack because of his criticism of the State Government.
He said the assailants invaded his residence at about 12:00am on Saturday, shooting sporadically in the building.
The lawmaker added that two of his vehicles parked within the premises were damaged, while part of the building was destroyed.
In a swift reaction to the allegation, Honourable Isa, who denied the accusation, wondered why Senator Melaye claimed he was attacked.
Contrary to the claims, the LGA Administrator said he only heard that the lawmaker came to Aiyetoro with policemen who allegedly shot sporadically to scare people away.
He, however, disclosed that he has set up a 10-man committee to investigate the incident.
Also, the State Commissioner of Police, Wilson Inalegwu, said he has visited the senator’s residence, adding that the Police have commenced investigation.
The Police Commissioner promised to make the report of the investigation public as soon as it was concluded.
The former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has responded to the threat of a law suit by Mr Chibuike Amaechi, saying he is not losing any sleep over it.
In a statement by the Special Adviser to Femi Fani-Kayode on Media, Jude Ndukwe, says he has been inundated with calls concerning the threat by the Minister of Transportation, to sue him for defamation over the recovered 43 million Dollars issue, though he is yet to be formally communicated to on it.
“We have not received any court processes or letters from Amaechi but when we do so, our lawyers will respond vigorously and appropriately.”