Advertisement

French Attack:NATO Unsure of Perpetrator

Channels Television  
Updated January 25, 2012

The International Security Assistance Force led by NATO today said it was still not sure if it was the Afghan Taliban that was behind the killing of four French Troops last week.

French Attacks

ISAF spokesman Brigadier General Carsten Jacobson at a news conference in Kabul said “So it is far too early to make statement of Taliban involvement in general, or in this specific incident, at the present time and we do know that the perpetrator on Friday was a member of the Afghan National Army and that he is in custody.”He concluded.

The Afghan Taliban said it had recruited an Afghan National Army soldier to shoot the French soldiers in eastern Kapisa province a day earlier.

The attack prompted France to suspend all military operations in Afghanistan and to threaten an early exit from the NATO-led war in the country.

Longuet flew to Kabul at the weekend for emergency talks with the Afghan government and to seek guarantees on the safety of the 3,900 French troops.

The killings were the latest in a series of attacks by Afghan security forces against their Western allies.