Red Cross makes second visit to detained Gaddafi’s son

Channels Television  
Updated June 1, 2012

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Thursday it had made its second visit to Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Libya’s former leader, detained by militia fighters in the west of the country.

“We visited him yesterday … It was a short visit by ICRC delegates including a doctor,” ICRC spokesman Steven Anderson told Reuters.

“It was in keeping with our standard procedures. We cannot comment on his condition. He wrote a Red Cross message to a member of his family,” he added.

The visit came six months after Libyan militia fighters captured Saif al-Islam as he took refuge in the Sahara desert, following the overthrow and killing of his father Muammar Gaddafi in Libya’s uprising.

Saif al-Islam’s capture and continued detention by militia fighters has raised concerns about how he is being held and his chances of a fair trial in Libya.

Libya’s new justice minister has said he wants to try Saif al-Islam for murder, torture and other offenses allegedly committed during the crackdown on the revolt. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has also issued an arrest warrant for Saif al-Islam to face charges of crimes against humanity.

Last month a senior defence lawyer at the ICC said Saif al-Islam had been physically attacked and had been denied medical treatment, despite suffering from toothache. Libyan authorities dismissed the report.

REUTERS