The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has overturned the a life ban placed on former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam from all soccer-related activity over bribery allegations meaning Hammam’s appeal was victorious pending the time a proper investigation is completed on the allegations meted against him as it will be re-opened.
Qatari Bin Hammam remained suspended from the game after the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), which he previously headed, opened a disciplinary case against their former boss over alleged financial wrongdong earlier this week.
He was banned for 30 days, which was extended to a worldwide ban by FIFA on Wednesday.
The CAS said it upheld Bin Hammam’s appeal therefore annulling the decision rendered by the FIFA Appeal Committee and lifted the life ban imposed on Mr Bin Hammam.
Bin Hammam, a former member of FIFA’s executive committee, challenged Sepp Blatter for the presidency of soccer’s world ruling body last year.
He withdrew his candidacy, and was then provisionally suspended, days before the June election over allegations that he had tried to buy the votes of Caribbean officials by handing them $40,000 each in brown envelopes at a meeting in Port of Spain.
The CAs said further that Mr Bin Hammam was more likely the source of the monies that were brought into Trinidad and Tobago and eventually distributed at the meeting by Mr Warner and in this way, his conduct, in collaboration with and most likely induced by Mr Warner, may not have complied with the highest ethical standards that should govern the world of football and other sports.
He was banned for life and subsequently lost an appeal at FIFA. Proceedings against former CONCACAF president Jack Warner, also present at the meeting in Trinidad & Tobago, were dropped after he resigned his post.
CAS said the three-man panel voted 2-1 in Bin Hammam’s favour but added that his behaviour was not of the highest ethical standard.