Advertisement

FG Agrees To Privatise 10 Independent Power Plants

Channels Television  
Updated June 7, 2013

The three tiers of government have reached an agreement on the sale of ten National Independent Power Plants (NIPP) to be privatised by the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC).

Speaking after a joint meeting of the National Council on Privatisation and the governing board of NDPHC, the Director General of the Bureau for Public Enterprises, Mr. Benjamin Dikki explained that the agreement will further give boost to the privatisation process, which is nearing its conclusion.

53 per cent of the NDPHC plants is owned by states and the local governments, while the federal government owns the remaining 47 per cent.

The ten gas-fired power plants have a combined design capacity in excess of 5,453 megawatts.

The power plants include: Omotoso, Sapele, Alaoji and Ihovbor. They all have 450 megawatts capacity each.

The others are Geregu with 434 megawatts; Olorunsogo with 750 megawatts; Gbarain with 225 megawatts; Calabar with 561 megawatts; Egbema with 338 megawatts and Omoku with 225 megawatts.