We’ve Spent Over N4 Billion In Fighting Boko Haram – Yobe Governor
The Governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam on Thursday said that the state government has spent over N4 billion in fighting terrorist.
The governor, who was represented by his deputy, Abubakar Aliyu, disclosed this while receiving the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the North in Yobe.
He said 209 government schools amounting to N2.5 billion while private structures to the tune of N629 million were torched by the insurgent.
“Between November 20011 and October 2012, in addition to the loss of lives, public buildings like schools, mosques, churches and vehicles were razed down by the insurgents, about 209 government school buildings comprising classrooms, hostels, workshops, laboratories, administrative blocks, vehicles were destroyed by the insurgents costing an estimated 2.5 billion.
“This is in addition to the office blocks of government agencies belonging to both state and federal governments. Similarly, private houses with estimated value of over 629 million naira were also burnt.”
Over 200 patrol vehicles according to the governor were made available to security operatives while N200 million is also been expended on logistic and monthly allowances among other needs of security operatives in the state.
The recent attack on the government secondary school Damaturu Mr Gaidam said came as a surprise as the state has gone 10 months of uninterrupted peace and commended the federal government for the deployment of more security to rise to the occasion.
He also praised the gallantry of the military Joint Task Force (JTF) and call on the community to accord the security operatives the needed support.
Mr Gaidam said so far 17 women and 21 children were released by the JTF and handed over to their next -of- kin as they will be empowered through the state women development centre for gainful ventures.
The visiting committee led by its Chairman And Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Kabiru Tanimu Turaki had visited the governor to brief him on the purpose of their visit to the state.
The minister said they are in the state to attest to the fact that federal government is committed to the reconciliation process saying tremendous progress is being made.
While condoling the government and good people of Yobe state over the loss of lives and property since the commencement of the ceaseless attacks, the chairman calls for the cooperation of the people towards finding lasting solution to the problem.
He appreciated the spirit of nationalism in the minds of the people saying the committee will meet with clergy, royal fathers, elders heads of security agencies with a view to finding solution to the security challenges that have bedevil the nation in the recent past.
The minister said the committee is committed to working assiduously towards finding lasting peace in the country and appreciate the current peace being enjoyed in the state.
“Life is gradually and steadily returning to Yobe state. Despite the state of emergency, all democratic tenets are being adhered to as security operatives are operating within the ambits of law,” he said.
He revealed that the committee will engaged the insurgents in dialogue, evoked workable framework to resolve all forms of insecurity as well as recommend measures of ending the frequent attack.
More on Current
MORE FROM CHANNELS TV