This is contrary to claims made by the military on Wednesday night that it had rescued the girls and were hot on the track of the abductors, as most of the parents have said that many of the girls were still missing.
The school authority’s claim has also been backed up by the leadership of an organization made up of indigenes of the Chibok in Borno.
Addressing a news conference in Abuja, the Chairman of Kibaku Area Development Association, Mr Hosea Tsambido, said that only the abducted girls who escaped by their personal efforts have been reunited with their parents.
He said: “The girls were made to count themselves, giving a figure of 247. They were taken away after which the school was razed down completely.
“The terrorist left with the girls and their loot at about 3am on Tuesday the 15th April to an unknown destination. Since then, a lot of information in both print and electronic media have reached Nigerian public and the world at large that the girls had been rescued and that only 8 are still missing.
“Different sources are giving different figures of the number of girls rescued, which are not true.
“The most disturbing, however, is the statement credited to the Defense Headquarter as carried by most print media of 16th and 17th April 2014, that 121 of the girls have been rescued and that only 8 are still missing.
“This information is misleading, as neither the parents nor the school authority have seen their girls as at this press time.”
He went further to state that the anxiety generated by this “misleading information” had forced the local communities to mobilize themselves and move to Sambisa forests to search for the girls to complement the efforts of the military.
He noted that “out of the 247 girls known to have been abducted; only 14 girls who escaped through their personal efforts have returned to their parents.
“This is the true picture and we are appealing to Government to intensify the search and rescue efforts so that the girls can be reunited with their parents”, he concluded.