The fire, which was put off about five hours after it started, was believed to been caused by an electrical fault.
A guard on duty said he called the attention of the Police when he noticed the fire outbreak.
He stressed that it took the Firefighters almost five hours to control the situation, as shortage of water hampered the exercise.
While paying an assessment visit to the building, the state Commissioner for Energy, Musa Abdullah, expressed relief, after noticing that none of the sensitive materials and documents of the officers were affected. He thanked God that no life was lost.
Another visitor to the site was the state Head of Service, Dabarako Muhammad, who announced that the state government had earlier planned to demolish and reconstruct the site to a modern structure.
He said that the Governor would give the final approval on when the construction would start.
While the remaining documents are being salvaged, Mr Muhammed said the staff of the ministry would be re-allocated to another office soon.