President Muhammadu Buhari says the release of the 21 Chibok girls is a confirmation of his determination to secure all Nigerians where ever they are.
The President spoke at the airport just before takeoff to Germany on an official visit.
He said that the Vice President would work out the details of how to receive the girls.
“I believe you will be duly briefed by the President. He will give you the details. I have just been briefed about it and I think the Vice President and the Minister of Information will give you the details.
“To Nigerians all over, our responsibility is to continue to secure them wherever they are,” the President said.
On his part, the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shetima, described the rescue of the 21 Chibok girls as a sign of better days ahead.
He expressed gratitude to the President for the efforts made so far, hoping that the rest of the girls would also be rescued alive.
The Spokesman for the President, Garba Shehu, earlier on Thursday, confirmed that 21 out of the Chibok girls kidnapped by the Boko Haram militants, had been released.
According to Mr Shehu, the release of the girls, in a limited number, is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the Boko Haram, brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss Government.
Not A Swap
There had been reports in the media that four Boko Haram members were released in exchange for the girls’ release but the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has since debunked the reports.
He told journalists in Abuja that the release secured by the government is based on confidence and not a swap arrangement with the terrorists group.
“This is not a swap. This was a release which was effected because over time, we succeeded in confidence building.
“This particular release is significant because it’s just a first step in what we believe will lead to the eventual release of all our girls in custody. It is significant also because we have been able to establish more than ever before a confidence in both the leadership of Boko Haram and Nigerians.
“I am not aware of any monetary transaction,” he said.