Advertisement

21 Chibok Girls Return Home For Christmas

Channels Television  
Updated December 23, 2016

21 Chibok School Girls Return Home For ChristmasThe recently released 21 Chibok girls will be in Chibok, their ancestral home for the first time since their abduction to join their families and friends in celebrating the 2016 Christmas.

This is following the celebrated release of 21 of the schoolgirls who were kidnapped by Boko Haram in April 2014.

The girls, who have now become international figures, arrived Yola International Airport secretly and under tight security were received by the Adamawa State Governor, Senator Mohammed Jibrilla.

Channels TV correspondent reports that the girls appeared tense, anxious and uncertain of what to expect as they looked forward to uniting with their families.

Accompanying the Chibok girls was CNN Correspondent, Aisha Sesay who has been involved in the welfare of the girls. She could not hide her feeling of joy.

Governor Mohammed Jibrilla thanked President Buhari for his commitment in fighting insurgency in the northeast and said that he was excited receiving the Chibok schoolgirls in Yola on their way home for Christmas.

They proceeded to one of the five star hotels in Yola where they were lodged for the night and Governor Jibrilla was back the following morning to bid them farewell as they embarked on their final trip to Chibok.

While some parents of the kidnapped girls expressed their delight, one of the 21 girls on their way home for the Christmas, Asabe Hune, said that they were praying for the release of the remaining girls under Boko Haram captivity.

“I feel happy today as we are going home, we will assist the remaining girls by praying for their release so that they can return home for us to be together again.

“I have nothing more to say except to thank the government for everything they have done to us.”

They were escorted by security operatives to Chibok for the yuletide.

The release of the girls in October was secured by the Federal Government after negotiation with the terrorist group that had requested for prisoners swap.

They were released on October 31, 2016 in a deal brokered by the International Committee of Red Cross and the Swiss Government.

The Nigerian government had earlier denied reports claiming the release of another set of 21 Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists.
Reports had claimed that the girls, who were kidnapped in April 2014, had been transported to Yola, Adamawa State, after their release on Thursday.
Presidential Spokesperson, Mr Garba Shehu, said that the 21 girls reported on Thursday, were those released in October.











Advertisement