Full Resolutions Of South-East Governors On IPOB, Operation Python Dance
The South-East Governors Forum today held a meeting at the Government House in Enugu over the increased tension in the region after Sunday’s clash between soldiers and members of the Indigenous People of Biafra.
At the end of the meeting, which was also attended by Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu and President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo John Nwodo, they arrived at 11 resolutions.
This included a ban on IPOB activities and an appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari to withdraw soldiers from the region.
See the resolutions, which were read by the Chairman of the South-East Governors Forum and Governor of Ebonyi State Dave Umahi, below:
In view of the prevailing situation in the South East and its attendant consequences, the South-East governors hereby resolve as follows:
1. All activities of IPOB are hereby proscribed. IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are to articulate their position on all national issues and submit to the committee of Governors of South East, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, and National Assembly members from South-East zone through the Chairman of South-East Governors Forum.
2. All governors of South East are expected to ensure compliance in their respective states.
3. The South-East Governors Forum, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and National Assembly members do hereby reinforce their commitment to one united and indivisible Nigeria.
4. We also reinforce our desire for the restructuring of Nigeria where all national issues will be discussed and amicably settled to achieve justice and fairness to every Nigerian.
5. We reiterate our earlier position that the November 18, 2017, Gubernatorial election in Anambra State must hold.
6. Accordingly, we appeal to our President and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR to, please, withdraw the military in the South-East Zone while the police perform their traditional role of maintaining law and order within this period.
7. South-East governors have taken concrete steps to protect the lives and properties of non-indigenes in the South East and, of course, including the lives and properties of indigenes in the South-East as well.
8. We are in touch with the Northern Governors Forum and they have assured us of the safety of all our people living in the North and we have also planned for exchange of visits between the governors. This is to reinforce the confidence of Nigerians in this regard.
9. In keeping with our earlier position, we wish to assure Nigerians that full investigation is ongoing and all allegations of killings, maiming and other unlawful conduct in the South-East Zone within this period. The governors and the security agencies are in agreement that appropriate action will be taken against anyone culpable.
10. We advise all residents of the South East to go about their normal businesses as the government of each state is committed to protecting everybody.
11. Finally, we advise our people in the South East to, please, be law abiding.
More on Politics
MORE FROM CHANNELS TV