Benue Killings: Miyetti Allah Leadership ‘Cannot Go Scot Free’ – Ortom
Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has called for the arrest of the national leadership of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria.
Governor Ortom made the call on Sunday while addressing a gathering during a church service in Makurdi, the state capital.
He said: “In particular the secretary and the president of this association (Miyetti Allah) that came out – they are on tape, they are on the papers – and issued this threat.
“They cannot go scot free, they must be arrested. We still want to repeat again that Federal Government should do this.”
The governor faulted the allegation by some members of the group that some Benue indigenes rustled about 1,000 cows as the reason for which dozens of people were killed in the state.
He, however, called on the Federal Government to order the arrest of Miyetti Allah leadership in a bid to ensure the people of the state get justice.
“I’ve written to the Presidency, I have written to the inspector general of police, I have written to the DG DSS, and all the security apparatus of this country to ensure they effect this arrest; then we will know that Nigeria is doing justice to us in Benue State,” he said.
Following the recent attack on some communities in the state by suspected herdsmen, Governor Ortom has confirmed the death of at least 49 persons to Channels Television.
The latest attack was on Tombu village in Logo Local Government Area where 11 persons were killed on Saturday last week.
The governor who confirmed the number of casualties had commended the heavy presence of security personnel in the state.
He had, however, lamented that more than 40,000 people have been displaced for fear of unprovoked attacks.
The state government consequently declared three days of mourning for those killed in the attacks on communities in Logo and Guma LGAs.
In a statement issued on Monday by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr Terver Akase, the government also announced that those who were killed during the attacks would be buried on Thursday, January 11.