Families Speak After 20 Years As Ethiopia Restores Phones To Eritrea

Channels Television  
Updated July 10, 2018


On Tuesday morning, Ethiopian mechanic Mohammed Osman placed a phone call he had dreamt of making for 20 years.

He called his mother Kedija, who was expelled from Ethiopia to Eritrea in 1998 after the Horn of Africa neighbours went to war over their border.

Kedija, Kedija’s mother and more than 70,000 Ethiopian citizens of Eritrean origin were wrenched from their families, put on buses and trucks bound for Eritrea – and given travel papers marked “Expelled-Never to Return”.

A peace deal finally forged in the past two days brought relations out of the deep freeze, and prompted the phone lines across the border to be reconnected.

When Mohammed last heard his mother’s voice, he was 13. He and his father had not heard from her since.

“I couldn’t recognise her at first but for her laughter. It was surreal,” he said. “It was bittersweet.”

Kedija told him she was doing fine in Eritrea’s capital Asmara, but that his grandmother had died.

On Monday, the leaders of both countries announced they were ending the costly “state of war” that has reigned since the fighting stopped in 2000. Diplomatic relations were never restored because the sides could not agree on how to implement a peace deal.

After meeting and embracing in Asmara on Sunday, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Eritrean President Isaias Afewerki told their peoples they were choosing love and forgiveness over hatred and violence.

By Tuesday morning, people in Addis Ababa were frantically trying to phone their relatives in Eritrea.

“My parents have been separated ever since. As a family, we are planning to travel to Eritrea very soon and reconnect for the first time in 20 years,” said Mohammed.

His mother told him that as soon as she heard that phone connections were being restored, she tried to phone a shop in the neighbourhood of Addis Ababa where the family used to live.

“She hadn’t forgotten the number,” he said. But the call didn’t get through. Instead, after news of the peace deal broke, distant relatives in Saudi Arabia called him to pass on his mother’s number.