Minimum Wage Is Work In Progress, Says Ngige
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, discussions are still ongoing for a new minimum wage for the country.
“The issue of the minimum wage is a work in progress”, he told journalists at the State House in Abuja on Thursday, after the National Executive Council meeting.
He explained that it is after the ongoing deliberations on the minimum wage that a bill will be sent to the National Executive Council and subsequently referred to the National Council of State.
He said, “We are taking our deliberations to the National Executive Council and then we will close up on the 22nd of January at the National Council of State after which we will be able to say where we are going concerning the figures and frequency those that have exemptions.
“By then we will be ready to transmit to the National Assembly on or before 23rd of January.”
The Federal Government through the Labour Minister had in a meeting with the leadership of the NLC last week Tuesday resolved that the executive bill on minimum wage should be forwarded by January 23 to the National Assembly to prevent the planned strike.
The NLC had threatened to shut down the economy on January 28, and also vote against any candidate in the forthcoming elections that refuses to implement the proposed minimum wage of N30,000.