Buhari Renews Vow To Secure Release Of Leah Sharibu, Chibok Girls
President Muhammadu Buhari has renewed his vow to ensure the release of Leah Sharibu and the remaining Chibok girls in Boko Haram’s enclave.
In a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, the President promised the parents of the kidnapped girls that he would ensure their daughters are returned home.
The President’s statement was in commemoration of the fifth anniversary of the abduction of the Chibok girls.
He said he is aware that the promise to rescue the girls is the main reason the people of Chibok voted overwhelmingly for him in the February election.
President Buhari noted that although his government has so far succeeded in bringing back 107 of the girls, he will not rest until the remaining are reunited with their families.
He assured the parents that his administration is still on the matter.
“Diverse efforts are being intensified to secure the release of the Chibok Girls, along with all hostages in Boko Haram captivity, including Leah Sharibu who was kidnapped from her school, Science Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.
“On Leah Sharibu’s abduction, the interlocutors have reported encouraging progress so far.
“The report reaching us says her return to her family has unfortunately been hindered by the fear of the militants.
“They worry that heavy military presence in areas where they previously moved about freely could affect their safety after they return her to the government.
“At the same time, the military cannot jeopardise the security of the entire north-eastern region by halting their operations to accommodate Boko Haram’s fears.
“Leah Sharibu will be reunited with her family as soon as any conclusions are reached on a number of options being considered for her safe transportation.
“The success of the Nigerian military in subduing Boko Haram is evidenced by the large numbers of militants who have surrendered recently, especially in neighbouring Cameroon and Niger.
“A similar mass surrender of militants is expected to happen soon in Nigeria.
“While Nigerian military operations are ongoing, the government is also engaging with the militants but the talks have been affected by the factionalisation of Boko Haram – with one group adopting a hard-line attitude and intensifying attacks on Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and another group engaging with the government for peaceful resolution,” the statement read in parts.
President Buhari also used this opportunity of the commemoration of the Chibok tragedy to commend the girls, now women, who have triumphed over it all.
He sent special greetings to the 106 girls sponsored by the Nigerian government to continue their studies at the American University of Nigeria, Yola.
He encouraged them to stay focused on becoming women who will inspire girls in Nigeria and around the world to triumph over the daily battles they face in a world that is often unfair to the girl-child.
President Buhari also extended his best wishes to Chibok girls in other schools in Nigeria and around the world.
He sent special congratulations to Kauna Yaga Bitrus, who has excelled beyond expectations in her college in Maine, USA, and who is soon to receive a special ‘Against All Odds Award’ from her school.