Presidency Reacts To Video Of Aid Workers Pleading For Rescue

Akinola Ajibola  
Updated July 25, 2019

Presidency Reacts To Video Of Aid Workers Pleading For Rescue

 

The Presidency has reacted to a viral video showing a female aid worker and five male colleagues kidnapped by insurgents in Nigeria’s north-east region.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu, said the victims’ abductors were being engaged.

According to an aid group, Action Against Hunger, one of its staff members along with three health workers and two drivers were missing after their convoy was attacked on Thursday last week.

READ ALSO: Kidnapped Aid Workers Plead For Rescue In New Video

In the three-minute video, the woman said she was the abducted aid worker and identified the five others with her as her colleagues.

In a series of tweets on Thursday, Mr Shehu said the Presidency was aware of the video while they were assured that the captors were being talked to.

He explained that apart from the victims who appeared in the video, the engagement also covered the release of Leah Sharibu, the abducted Dapchi schoolgirl, as well as a religious leader among others.

The presidential aide, however, noted that the video would make the government step up its effort at ensuring that the abducted persons regain their freedom.

Read his tweets below:







Advertisement