Ministerial Screening: Melaye Faults Process, Says Buhari Did Not Submit Portfolios

Channels Television  
Updated July 29, 2019

 

The Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial district, Dino Melaye, has faulted the ongoing ministerial screening process.

According to him, it is more of an adoption process than a screening.

Melaye made the comments during an interview on Channels TV’s Sunday Politics.

He also faulted the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari did not submit the portfolios of the ministers along with their names for the screening exercise.

According to him, submitting the names of the ministers with their portfolios would have given the Senate a clear idea of their areas of competence of the nominees, which would in turn help them (the Senate) to ask questions within the jurisdiction where they are expected to serve.

Read Also: I Will Not Be Part Of A Rubber Stamp National Assembly – Melaye

He believes that they are currently “shooting from the dark” as the President did not yield to their request.

“The President did not yield to the request of some of us from the National Assembly to submit the names of his ministers with their portfolios so we are actually shooting from the dark,” he said.

“It would be better if the president was submitting the names of the ministers with their portfolios so that we know their area of competence and we can ask them questions within the jurisdiction where they are going to serve.

“But if a man is going to be minister of Labour and Productivity and you are asking him questions that have to do with health or law reforms, then automatically, that exercise is a beautiful nonsense”.

President Muhammadu Buhari last Tuesday sent the 43-man list of ministerial nominees to the Senate.

The development came 55 days after he was inaugurated into office and so far, over 30 nominees have been screened.







Advertisement