Advertisement

Supreme Court Judgement: Nigeria Must Now ‘Move On’, Says Buhari

Channels Television  
Updated October 30, 2019
File photo: President Muhammadu Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the ruling of the Supreme Court, dismissing the appeal brought before them by Atiku Abubakar and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has afforded the country the ‘right to move on’.

President Buhari who is away in Saudi Arabia for the Future Investment Initiative (FII) conference, was quoted in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, stressed that the victory had been settled since February 2019.

READ ALSO: I Fought A Good Fight For The Nigerian People – Atiku

Atiku lost the presidential election by a margin close to 15 percent of the total vote and challenged the outcome at the tribunal which ruled in September 2019 against him and his party, the PDP.

“The President and Government of Nigeria do wish to extend our gratitude to former vice-president and his party for undertaking their campaign through protestations to the courts.

‘‘In this regard, they have conducted themselves in line with the laws of the country they sought to lead.

“Now, following this final legal bid before the highest court, it is time the country is afforded the right to move on – in the interest of all Nigerians – regardless of how they voted”.

The statement added that President Buhari and the Federal Government should be allowed to focus on addressing the issues concerning the country.

“The elected President and his Government now must be enabled to focus solely on addressing the issues that concern the country.

“From building economic empowerment and opportunities for the nearly 200 million Nigerians, 60 percent of whom are youths bubbling with energy, to defeating the twin ills of terrorism and corruption, there is much work to do”.












Advertisement