Categories: Coronavirus Sports

COVID-19: Chelsea Opt Against Pay Cut, Urge Players To Donate To Charity

In this file photo taken on May 21, 2017 Chelsea’s Russian owner Roman Abramovich applauds, as players celebrate their league title win at the end of the Premier League football match between Chelsea and Sunderland at Stamford Bridge in London. Ben STANSALL / AFP

 

Chelsea have said they won’t impose a pay cut on their first-team squad in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

But the Premier League side added Saturday they had asked players to continue donating to charities during the ongoing pandemic.

It has been reported the west London club have been in talks with their players about a salary reduction of around 10 percent in a bid to reduce costs at a time when football has been suspended because of the virus.

That figure, however, is significantly lower than the Premier League’s suggestion of 30 percent for all clubs.

But that has not stopped the Stamford Bridge side from taking their own course of action as they highlighted the #PlayersTogether initiative launched by Premier League players earlier this month, which aims to raise and distribute funds for charities supporting Britain’s National Health Service (NHS).

“Representatives of the Chelsea board have recently held extensive talks with the men’s first team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis,” said a club statement.

“The objective of these talks has been to find a meaningful partnership around ensuring we preserve jobs for staff, compensate fans and participate in activities for good causes.

“We are grateful to the team for having played their role in assisting the club with community activities as well as all the charitable causes they have been supporting in their respective home countries and through the Players Together initiative supporting the NHS.”

The statement added: “At this time, the men’s first team will not be contributing towards the club financially and instead the board have directed the team to focus their efforts on further supporting other charitable causes.

“As this crisis develops the club will continue to have conversations with the men’s first team regarding financial contributions to the club’s activities.”

Meanwhile the Blues said they would not be taking advantage of the British government’s coronavirus job retention or furlough scheme, with casual workers and matchday staff being compensated by the club through to June 30.

Newcastle and Norwich are currently the only two Premier League clubs using the furlough for some of their non-playing staff, while Liverpool, Tottenham and Bournemouth were all forced into U-turns after their plans to use the scheme were met with widespread criticism.

AFP

Solomon Elusoji

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Headlines

BREAKING: Nigeria Reports 87 New Cases Of COVID-19, Total Infections Now 1,182

    Nigeria on Saturday recorded 87 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the country’s total infections to 1,182…

54 mins ago
  • Business
  • Local

IMF To Meet On Nigeria’s $3.4bn Emergency Loan Request On Tuesday

  The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is expected to recommend the approval of $3.4 billion in emergency funding for Nigeria…

1 hour ago
  • Local

COVID-19: Kano Govt Orders One Million Face Masks

  The Kano State Government says it has placed an order for the production of one million face masks as…

1 hour ago
  • Coronavirus
  • Local

Ekiti Reports Four New COVID-19 Cases

  Ekiti state has recorded four new cases of the novel coronavirus, according to Governor Kayode Fayemi. Dr Fayemi, in…

2 hours ago
  • Local

Eleven Persons Die In Kano Within 24 Hours

  At least eleven persons have died in Kano within the last 24 hours, according to local sources. The cause…

2 hours ago
  • Coronavirus
  • Sports

COVID-19: Arsenal Players Allowed Back To Training Ground

  Arsenal's squad will be allowed back to their training ground from next week, although the club stressed they would…

4 hours ago