Categories: World News

Assange Extradition Trial Delayed By Coronavirus Outbreak

(FILES) In this file photo taken on May 19, 2017 Wikileaks founder Julian Assange speaks on the balcony of the Embassy of Ecuador in London. Justin TALLIS / AFP.

 

A British judge on Monday delayed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s full extradition hearing, which had been due to begin next month, after the coronavirus pandemic prevented him meeting his lawyers.

At a preliminary hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London, Vanessa Baraitser agreed to vacate the May 18 start date for the three-week extradition trial, and warned the next time slot was not available until November.

A new timetable for the case will be agreed at another administrative hearing on May 4.

Assange is currently in the high security Belmarsh prison in south London as he fights an extradition request by the United States to stand trial there on espionage charges.

His lawyers said Monday they had been unable to take instruction from the whistleblower since the coronavirus outbreak prompted a nationwide lockdown in Britain more than a month ago.

“There have always been great difficulties in getting access to Mr Assange,” lawyer Edward Fitzgerald told the court.

READ ALSO: Nearly Two Million Australians Download Coronavirus Tracker App

“But with the coronavirus outbreak, the preparation of this case cannot be possible.”

Assange faces charges under the US Espionage Act for the 2010 release by WikiLeaks of a trove of secret files detailing aspects of US military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A ruling against Assange could see him jailed for 175 years.

He took refuge in the Ecuadoran embassy in London in 2012 after skipping bail to avoid separate legal proceedings in Sweden, but was dragged out by British police last year.

Assange last month failed in his bid for bail after he argued that he was at risk of catching coronavirus in Belmarsh.

The British government has been planning to allow some prisoners temporary release, amid fears COVID-19 could sweep through jails.

But Baraitser rejected the request on March 25, saying there were “no grounds” for his release.

It also emerged earlier this month that the one-time computer hacker fathered two children with one of his lawyers while in Ecuador’s embassy.

The 48-year-old Australian is the dad of two boys, aged two and one, with lawyer Stella Morris, to whom he is engaged, she confirmed following a newspaper report.

AFP

Anthonia Orji

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Local

COVID-19: Senate Adjourns Plenary Indefinitely

  The Senate has adjourned plenary indefinitely following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.    This was…

19 mins ago
  • Politics

Reps Adjust Plenary To Once A Week Amid COVID-19 Lockdown

    Members of the House of Representatives have resolved to hold plenary at least once every week until the…

22 mins ago
  • Coronavirus
  • World News

South African Hospitals Brace For Coronavirus Surge

  Staff at Johannesburg's Charlotte Maxeke hospital were swamped last month when hundreds of panicked locals rushed in for testing…

36 mins ago
  • Local

COVID-19: Bauchi Governor Signs Order On Infectious Disease Prevention, Regulations

  The Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed has signed Executive Order 001 on the Infectious Disease Prevention and Regulations 2020.…

45 mins ago
  • Local

NCDC To Commission Second Laboratory In Kano

  The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is set to commission another COVID-19 testing centre in Kano. Director-General of…

1 hour ago
  • Coronavirus
  • World News

South Asia Faces Fresh Health Crisis As Children Miss Vaccinations

  South Asia could face a further public health crisis as children miss routine vaccinations, the UN warned Tuesday, spurring…

2 hours ago