Categories: Sports

COVID-19: China Rules Out Hosting Most Int’l Sport In 2020

(FILES) This file picture taken on August 8, 2015 shows Wang Shanshan of China (R) shooting the ball during their women’s East Asian Cup football match against Japan at the Wuhan Sports Center Stadium in Wuhan. WANG ZHAO / AFP

 

China will not hold most international sporting events for the rest of 2020 as part of measures to stop the spread of coronavirus, the government said Thursday, dealing a potential blow to the likes of Formula One and tennis.

Shanghai’s sports authority recently said that it had been offered two Formula One races this year, while several tournaments in China are on the revised tennis calendar.

But China — where coronavirus emerged late last year before spreading globally — appears to have ruled out many of those now happening, despite local infections dwindling markedly.

The General Administration of Sport (GAS) said in a statement that, except for Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic test events “and other important events, in principle, no other international sports events will be held this year”.

China’s highest sporting authority did not specify which competitions will be hit, but the official Xinhua news agency said that “lots of international sport events will be affected”.

This year’s global sporting calendar has been badly disrupted by the pandemic, with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Euro 2020 football pushed back to next summer.

China was earmarked to host a number of tennis tournaments later this year in a revised schedule.

That includes the WTA Wuhan Open in October — the central city was the original epicentre of the pandemic and staging the annual tournament would be hugely symbolic.

The fate of the Wuhan Open and season-ending WTA Finals has now been thrown into grave doubt, along with the prestigious ATP Shanghai Masters which would usually take place in the autumn.

The Chinese Super League (CSL) football season was due to kick off on February 22 but became one of the earliest sporting victims of the pandemic when it was indefinitely postponed in January.

The CSL will now begin on July 25 under a different format in which the 16 teams will be split into two groups located in two cities to stop any infections spreading.

It follows the return of the Chinese Basketball Association competition last month — the first major league to return to action in the country following the coronavirus outbreak.

Like in the CBA, CSL games will take place behind closed doors.

AFP

Emmanuel Egobiambu

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Headlines

PDP Asks President Buhari To Resign Over Insecurity, Corruption Scandals

  Nigeria’s main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari, accusing his administration of failing to…

2 hours ago
  • Politics

FG Has Not Dissolved Interim Management Committee Of NDDC – Presidency

  The Presidency says it has not dissolved the Interim Management Committee of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC). This…

2 hours ago
  • Headlines

Former Speaker Yakubu Dogara Back In APC, Says Governor Buni

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara is said to have officially decamped to the All Progressives Congress…

2 hours ago
  • Sports

2020/21 Premier League Season To Start September 12

    The 2020-21 Premier League season will begin on September 12 and conclude on May 23, the English top-flight…

3 hours ago
  • Local

Katsina Govt Flags Off 2020 Seedlings Distribution To Check Desertification

The 2020 seedlings distribution has been flagged off in Katsina State with stakeholders optimistic that in a few years to…

4 hours ago
  • Headlines

Many Trapped, Some Feared Dead As Building Collapses In Ebute Metta

  There are fears that some persons might have died after a building collapsed along Cemetery road, opposite the health…

4 hours ago