Categories: Sports

Tottenham Tie Up Deal For Reguilon

Spanish defender Sergio Reguilon. Photo: Twitter@Tottenham Hotspur

 

 

Tottenham announced the signing of left-back Sergio Reguilon from Real Madrid on Thursday as talks continued between the two clubs over Gareth Bale’s return to the Premier League.

Reguilon heads to London for a reported fee of 30 million euros ($35 million, £27 million) plus five million more in add-ons after starring while on loan for Europa League winners Sevilla last season.

Madrid, though, will reportedly retain a buy-back option on the 23-year-old for the next two seasons for 40 million euros.

“We are delighted to announce the signing of Sergio Reguilon from Real Madrid,” Tottenham said in a statement.

“The 23-year-old left-back has signed a contract with the club until 2025 and will wear the number three shirt.”

Manchester United were also interested in Reguilon, who played in Sevilla’s 2-1 Europa League semi-final win over Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men last month, but were less open to Real’s requirement for a buy-back clause.

After an impressive start to his Madrid career under former coaches Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari, Zinedine Zidane’s return to the Santiago Bernabeu saw Reguilon slip down the pecking order as veteran vice-captain Marcelo regained his place before the Spanish giants splashed 48 million euros on Ferland Mendy last year.

However, Reguilon, who made his debut for Spain earlier this month, is still highly regarded in Madrid, which is why they sought a deal to be able to bring him back to the club once Marcelo, 32, departs.

Mourinho’s men are badly in need of a lift in the closing weeks of the transfer window after losing their opening game of the Premier League season 1-0 at home to Everton.

AFP

Emmanuel Egobiambu

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Emmanuel Egobiambu
Tags: Sergio Reguilon Tottenham Transfer news

Recent Posts

  • Politics

I’ve Never Seen People React So Passionately, Obaseki Speaks Of Victory

  Mr Godwin Obaseki is still basking in the euphoria of victory in the recently concluded governorship election in Edo…

34 mins ago
  • Local

JOHESU Suspends Warning Strike

  The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) has suspended its seven-day warning strike across the country. In a statement issued…

2 hours ago
  • Edo 2020
  • Politics

Peace Committee Congratulates Obaseki, Edo People, Others

The National Peace Committee has congratulated Godwin Obaseki for his re-election as governor of Edo State.

2 hours ago
  • Local

Former President IBB Mourns Emir Of Zazzau, Shehu Idris

  Former military president, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retired), says the passing of the Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris…

2 hours ago
  • Local

Gbajabiamila Mourns Emir Of Zazzau

  The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila has mourned the passing of the Emir of Zazzau,…

3 hours ago
  • Local

God Used Obaseki To Fight Godfatherism, Says Wike

  The Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Campaign Council for the Edo State governorship election, Nyesom Wike has…

4 hours ago