Categories: World News

China Running Hundreds Of Detention Centres In Xinjiang-Researchers

 

A picture of the Chinese flag.

China is running hundreds of detention centres in northwest Xinjiang across a network that is much bigger than previously thought, according to research presented Thursday by an Australian think tank.

The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) said it had identified more than 380 “suspected detention facilities” in the region, where China is believed to have held more than one million Uighurs and other mostly Muslim Turkic-speaking residents.

The number of facilities is around 40 percent greater than previous estimates, the research said and has been growing despite China’s claims that many Uighurs have been released.

Using satellite imagery, eyewitness accounts, media reports and official construction tender documents, the institute said “at least 61 detention sites have seen new construction and expansion work between July 2019 and July 2020”.

Fourteen more facilities were under construction in 2020 and around 70 have had fencing or perimeter walls removed, indicating their use has changed or they have been closed.

Beijing on Thursday again denied the existence of detention sites. The government says they are vocational training centres used to counter extremism.

Foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin called ASPI “the vanguard of anti-China forces whose academic credibility is seriously questionable”.

US lawmakers recently voted to ban imports from Xinjiang, citing the alleged use of systematic forced labour.

Beijing recently published a white paper defending its policies in Xinjiang, where it says training programmes, work schemes and better education mean life has improved.

It claims to have given “training sessions” to an average of 1.29 million workers each year between 2014 and 2019.

Following the publication of the ASPI report, the Chinese government-controlled nationalist tabloid Global Times cited “sources” as saying contributors Clive Hamilton and Alex Joske were banned from entering China.

Wang did not confirm if the two academics had been banned on Thursday, but said the matter was “totally within the scope of China’s sovereignty”.

AFP

Solomon Elusoji

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Solomon Elusoji
Tags: China Detention Camps Muslim Muslim Turks Uighurs Xinjiang

Recent Posts

  • Crime Watch

At Least Five Security Officials Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Convoy Of Borno Govt

  A convoy conveying officials of the Borno State Government has been attacked near Monguno town. The officials were on…

5 mins ago
  • World News

22 Killed In Ukraine Military Plane Crash

  At least 22 people including military cadets were killed and two others seriously injured Friday when a Ukrainian air…

10 mins ago
  • Local

Sanwo-Olu Launches N5bn COVID-19 Support Fund For Private Schools

  Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has launched a N5 billion COVID-19 Recovery Support Fund in the state. The fund…

32 mins ago
  • Headlines

NLC Insists On Monday Protest Despite Court Order

  The Nigeria Labour Congress on Friday insisted that it will go on with its planned mass action scheduled for…

56 mins ago
  • Local

Buhari Renews Appointment Of Key Petroleum Executives

  President Muhammadu Buhari has renewed the appointments of Chief Executive Officers of agencies under the Ministry of Petroleum Resources,…

1 hour ago
  • Crime Watch

Plateau Attack: Five Killed, Angry Youths Vandalise Police Station

  Five persons have been confirmed killed in the Thursday night attack at a relaxation centre within Vwang district of…

2 hours ago