Categories: World News

EU Urges New Measures To Mitigate Virus Second Wave

 

A logo for the European Union

 

The European Commission urged EU members states Thursday to better explain and enforce social distancing and hygiene rules to halt a dangerous new wave of coronavirus infections.

Health commissioner Stella Kyriakides said: “In some member states, the situation is now even worse than during the peak in March. This is a real cause for concern.

“All member states need to roll out measures immediately and at the right time at the very first sign of potential new outbreaks.”

Europe has now had more than five million coronavirus cases, and several countries have begun reimposing local lockdown rules to head off a return to uncontrolled spread.

The death rate has not returned to the levels seen earlier this year, but cases of new infections are soaring once again in many areas.

But Kyriakides, whose office has sought to coordinate the response across the 27 member states, warned that some areas had clearly begun to lift restrictions too soon.

“What this means, to be very clear, is that the control measures taken have simply not been effective enough or not being enforced or followed as they should have been,” she said.

“We cannot lower our guard. This crisis is not behind us. Moreover, winter is the time of the year for more respiratory illnesses, including seasonal influenza.”

And she warned: “Today we’re here to call on everyone to act decisively… it might be our last chance to prevent a repeat of last spring.”

Kyriakides said that member state governments would have to fight misinformation about the virus and reach out to young people to head off protests and conspiracy theories.

And she warned they will have to act quickly to prevent a need for a return to generalised lockdowns, which she said would hurt the economy, education and the mental health of the public.

AFP

Solomon Elusoji

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Crime Watch

At Least Five Security Officials Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Convoy Of Borno Govt

  A convoy conveying officials of the Borno State Government has been attacked near Monguno town. The officials were on…

5 mins ago
  • World News

22 Killed In Ukraine Military Plane Crash

  At least 22 people including military cadets were killed and two others seriously injured Friday when a Ukrainian air…

10 mins ago
  • Local

Sanwo-Olu Launches N5bn COVID-19 Support Fund For Private Schools

  Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has launched a N5 billion COVID-19 Recovery Support Fund in the state. The fund…

32 mins ago
  • Headlines

NLC Insists On Monday Protest Despite Court Order

  The Nigeria Labour Congress on Friday insisted that it will go on with its planned mass action scheduled for…

55 mins ago
  • Local

Buhari Renews Appointment Of Key Petroleum Executives

  President Muhammadu Buhari has renewed the appointments of Chief Executive Officers of agencies under the Ministry of Petroleum Resources,…

1 hour ago
  • Crime Watch

Plateau Attack: Five Killed, Angry Youths Vandalise Police Station

  Five persons have been confirmed killed in the Thursday night attack at a relaxation centre within Vwang district of…

2 hours ago