Categories: HeadlinesLocal

Absence Of Youth Representatives Stalls Lagos Inquiry

File photo of Lagos State Judicial Panel

 

The Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on police brutality failed to sit on Saturday after members could not form a quorum.

Chairman of the panel and retired Chief Judge of Lagos, Justice Doris Okuwobi said the youth representatives did not show up for today’s sitting.

Their absence may not be unconnected to the freezing of the accounts of 19 individuals and a public affairs company linked to the #EndSARS protests.

According to a court document obtained by Channels Television, Rinu Odulala, a member of the panel was one of those affected.

A source close to the panel confirmed to Channels Television that it views this as a direct attack on the sitting.

This comes a day after a Federal High Court in Abuja granted the request of the Central Bank of Nigeria to freeze the said accounts as filed by the apex bank on October 20.

READ ALSO: Court Grants CBN’s Request To Freeze Accounts Of 19 #EndSARS Protesters

The court order directed the affected banks to freeze all transactions on the accounts for a period of 180 days pending the outcome of an investigation currently being conducted by the CBN.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has submitted an affidavit to the Lagos State Judicial Panel on police brutality set up by the state government to probe the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollgate on the night of October 20.

Brigadier General Ibrahim Taiwo, representing the army authorities had been summoned and was already seated.

In the statement already before the panel, he confirmed that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos had requested the intervention of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai to suppress the already brewing violence within some parts of the state.

According to the affidavit, Lieutenant Colonel Salisu Ovada Bello, the Commander of the 65 Battalion was at the Lekki Tollgate and had fired blank bullets into the air in order to disperse the protesters.

The commander explained that no one had died, adding that only two people fainted.

The affidavit also explained that Brigadier General Francis Omata, who was also at the Lekki tollgate, confirmed later that evening that there were no fatalities.

 

Ignatius Igwe

An energetic journalist with an amazing sense of responsibility.

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Ignatius Igwe

Recent Posts

Chelsea Appoint Enzo Maresca As New Manager – Reports

London club Chelsea were looking for a new manager after parting company with Mauricio Pochettino.

1 hour ago

Tinubu Won 2023 Polls Despite Facing Spiritual Threats, Says Akande

Akande expressed concerns that Nigeria's polity since 1953  has always been characterised by tensions and…

2 hours ago

Uzodimma Condemns Soldiers’ Killing In Abia, Wants Killers Unmasked

Though the army and police authorities are yet to comment on the incident, the attack…

2 hours ago

Trump Convicted In Hush Money Trial, Ex-President Calls Verdict A ‘Disgrace’

The historic first criminal trial of a former US president ended with the 77-year-old Trump…

2 hours ago

VIDEO: Analysts Rate Tinubu’s Ministers, List Ten Best Performers

Tinubu clocked one year in office on Wednesday. A day later, the analysts picked their…

3 hours ago

Troops Kill Three Terrorists, Rescue Soldier, Two Others In Benue

Though not much is known about the soldier, the army said the victim was kidnapped…

3 hours ago