Advertisement

Third Mainland Bridge: FG Backtracks On February 15 Reopening Date

Channels Television  
Updated February 13, 2021

 

The Federal Government has said the Third Mainland Bridge would no longer be reopened on Monday as planned.

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, had said the Third Mainland Bridge would be reopened by February 15 during the inspection of construction work on major roads and bridges in Lagos State in January.

Fashola had blamed the initial extension of the completion date on the EndSARS protest which held in October 2020.

But speaking on Sunday, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola, said the bridge would experience one more total closure from February 19 to 21 before completion of the project.

“The 3rd Mainland bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on,” he said.

READ ALSO: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Fully Reopened February 15 – Fashola

“The reasons are The #EndSARS protest that delayed the work for two weeks. In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the 3rd Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the 3rd Mainland bridge during the week to cast concrete.

“Lane markings on the completed section must be completed. The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing regret the inconveniences the extra days may have caused the Lagosians.”

Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, which was going through a series of repairs, had to be partially shut on July 24 for another round of rehabilitation works.

Traffic was partially diverted on a stretch of 3.5km where construction is ongoing between Adeniji Adeniji Ramp and Ebute Meta, while different time belts were allotted for traffic diversions on the bridge.

The 11.8km bridge is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland.