Advertisement

Fire Guts Katsina House Of Assembly

Channels Television  
Updated April 21, 2021
Katsina Assembly chamber gutted by fire

 

The Katsina State House of Assembly Chamber was on Wednesday gutted by fire.

The Chamber was recently renovated by the Katsina State Government.

The incident is coming barely 30 days after the same scenario occurred at the Katsina Central Market where items worth billions of naira were destroyed.

The Speakers section also burnt down

 

According to an eyewitness, the fire was put out by the joint firefighters and security agents stationed at the State House of Assembly, noting that no life was lost.

In the meantime, the Deputy Chief Whip of the House and member representing Kankia constituency, Salisu Rimaye has said that no one can actually say the real cause of the incident.

He said the Assembly got to know about the incident when the clerk of the House instructed the Sergeant at the arm to go and clean up the chamber.

The gallery in the chambers

 

He explained that the Sergeant at arm opened the chamber and discovered the fire.

He further stated that a team of electricians at the Assembly has started a process to a certain the real cause but, he attributed it to electrical appliances especially the air conditioner left on.

The fire started right behind the Speaker’s seat with the seat of the speaker completely burnt to ashes.

Other areas affected are the press and guest gallery as well as some seats of other members of the assembly.

The State Governor Aminu Masari has visited the chamber for an assessment. He sympathised with the Deputy Chief Whip and other principal officers of the Assembly.

Meanwhile, the House is reportedly on strike at the time of the incident due to the demand for financial autonomy from the executive arm.