Categories: Sports

I Couldn’t Put Barcelona At Risk: Laporta Defends Messi’s Exit

President of FC Barcelona Joan Laporta holds a press conference at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona on August 6, 2021, to explain Lionel Messi’s exit. Soccer star Lionel Messi will leave FC Barcelona after discussions for a new contract failed due to “financial and structural obstacles”.
Pau BARRENA / AFP

 

Barcelona’s negotiations with Lionel Messi are over and the striker is considering other offers, the club’s president Joan Laporta said on Friday.

Laporta said in a press conference he was not prepared “to put the club at risk” by renewing Messi’s contract, with Barca facing huge financial problems ahead of the start of La Liga.

“Yesterday we realised it was over. I had the last conversation with Leo’s father,” said Laporta.

“I do not want to give false hope. The player has other offers and there is a time limit because La Liga starts soon and he needs time to assess his other options.”

Messi reached an agreement with Barcelona to sign a reported five-year contract but with the trade-off that he would earn 50 per cent less per year.

But La Liga’s financial fair play rules, which are expected to reduce Barca’s salary limit to less than 200 million euros this season, led Laporta to conclude they were unable to complete the deal.

“We could not accommodate Messi’s contract,” said Laporta, who was re-elected as club president in March.

 

READ ALSO: End Of An Era: Barcelona Announce Lionel Messi’s Departure

 

“The situation we have inherited is abominable and the sports salary bill represents 110 per cent of the club’s income. We have no margin for salaries.

“La Liga’s rules set limitations and we have no margin. We knew the situation since we arrived but the numbers we have seen are even worse than we thought.”

 

A man holds a banner claiming against the president of the Liga, Javier Tebas and the French football club PSG in front of the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona on August 6, 2021.
Pau BARRENA / AFP

 

Barcelona have total debts of almost 1.2 billion euros, with more than half of that needing to be repaid in the short term.

Expensive signings like Ousmane Dembele and Philippe Coutinho, costing around 300 million euros combined, have failed to deliver.

La Liga announced a deal with American private equity firm CVC earlier this week that agreed to sell 10 per cent of the business for 50 years, in exchange for an immediate injection of 2.7 billion euros. Clubs in Spain’s top two divisions would receive 90 per cent of the funds.

Laporta said Barca could have registered Messi by agreeing to the deal but insisted it was a risk he was not prepared to take.

“We were not prepared to put the club at risk in this way,” said Laporta. “Barça had to be in favour of a contract that would mortgage our television rights for half a century.

“I am not willing to mortgage the club for anyone. We have an institution that is above everyone, even the best player in the world.”

Laporta said he felt “sadness and disappointment” but that he “did everything possible” to keep Messi, who joined Barcelona aged 13 and went on to score 672 goals in 778 appearances for the club.

The 34-year-old won La Liga 10 times and the Champions League four times. He is also a six-time winner of the Ballon d’Or and is widely considered to be the greatest player of all time.

“There is a before and after Leo,” Laporta said. “Leo Messi has been an icon and has left some historic moments. We have eternal gratitude to him.”

-AFP

Tom Jones Usen

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Politics

PDP Sues Buni, Asks Court To Remove Him As Yobe Governor

  The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to effect the removal of Governor…

1 min ago
  • World News

Indonesian Army Scraps ‘Virginity Tests’ On Female Cadets

Indonesia's army has stopped imposing so-called "virginity tests" on female recruits, its chief said Thursday, following calls from rights groups…

49 mins ago
  • Local

11 Abducted Children, Adults Escape From Bandits’ Camp In Kaduna

  No fewer than 11 people who were kidnapped by bandits have escaped from the camp of their abductors in…

1 hour ago
  • Crime Watch
  • Local

Gunmen Kill Former Councillor In Zamfara

  Barely a day after armed men abducted the wife and baby of a former councillor in Zamfara, gunmen have…

1 hour ago
  • Africa

Social Media Restricted As Zambians Vote In Hard-Fought Polls

Zambians flocked to vote for a president Thursday in tightly contested polls pitting incumbent Edgar Lungu and his long-time rival…

1 hour ago
  • Local

Ex-President Shehu Shagari’s Wife, Hadiza Dies At 80

  The wife of late former President Shehu Shagari, Mrs Hadiza, is dead. Mrs Hadiza’s death was announced in a…

2 hours ago