Categories: World News

US Airport Chaos As Over 2,700 Flights Cancelled

MIAMI, FLORIDA – DECEMBER 28: Travelers make their way through Miami International Airport on December 28, 2021 in Miami, Florida. Over the holiday weekend, COVID-19 cases in the U.S. reached their highest level in nearly a year. More than 2,000 flights were canceled over the weekend as airlines dealt with a surge in COVID-19 cases due to the Omicron variant. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP.

 

Air travel continued to be severely disrupted in the United States on Saturday, with bad weather in parts of the country adding to the impact of a massive spike in Covid-19 infections fuelled by the Omicron variant.

The United States had 2,723 cancelled flights, more than half of the 4,698 cancelled worldwide, around 11:00 pm (0400 GMT Sunday), according to tracking website FlightAware.

In addition, 5,993 domestic flights were delayed on Saturday, out of a total of 11.043 worldwide for the day.

The worst affected US airline was SkyWest, which had to cancel 23 percent of its flight schedule, according to the site.

In the United States, airports in Chicago were particularly hard-hit because of bad weather, with a snowstorm expected in the area on Saturday afternoon and into the night.

READ ALSO: France To Ease COVID-19 Rules As England Says Curbs Are ‘Last Resort’

The global air travel industry is still reeling from the highly contagious Omicron variant.

Many pilots, flight attendants and other staff are absent from work after contracting Covid-19, or because they are quarantining after coming in contact with someone who has the infection.

Some 7,500 flights were cancelled by airlines worldwide over the Christmas weekend.

AFP

Anthonia Orji

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

  • Local

Alleged N4.6bn Fraud: Court Adjourns Fani-Kayode’s Trial

In response to our enquiries, Mr Oyedepo noted that the senior lawyer is not given to frivolous adjournments and so…

5 hours ago
  • Local

Nasarawa Bombing: 37 Persons Buried So Far, Says Gov. Sule

The governor said the victims were from the State.

6 hours ago
  • Sports

Wigan Sack Toure After Just Nine Matches

Toure only agreed to a three-and-a-half-year contract at Wigan on November 29, but his disastrous reign is already over.

6 hours ago
  • Local

Alleged Defilement: Court Admits More Evidence Against Dr. Olaleye 

Dr Olaleye is facing a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault by penetration of his wife’s 16-year-old niece.

6 hours ago
  • Politics

AtikuGate: Keyamo Seeks Court Order To Serve Court Documents Via Substituted Means On Atiku

He added that the retinue of security personnel and aides around the presidential candidate will make it difficult to access…

6 hours ago
  • Headlines

My Govt Will Be For Youths And Women, Atiku Promises

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate made the promise on Thursday at the party's campaign rally in Abakaliki, Ebonyi…

7 hours ago