Categories: Sports

Newcastle Sign Burnley Forward Chris Wood

In this file photo taken on May 19, 2021, Burnley’s New Zealand striker Chris Wood controls the ball during the English Premier League football match between Burnley and Liverpool at Turf Moor in Burnley, northwest England. Newcastle announced the signing of Wood from Premier League rivals Burnley on January 13, 2022.

 

 

Newcastle announced the signing of striker Chris Wood from fellow Premier League strugglers Burnley on Thursday — the second arrival in the January transfer window under their new Saudi-led ownership.

The 30-year-old, who has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract, has moved to St James’ Park for an undisclosed fee, which reports said was £25 million ($34 million).

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe was seeking attacking reinforcements for his side, with Callum Wilson facing eight weeks on the sidelines following a calf injury.

Wood is the club’s second signing this month following the arrival of England international full-back Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid last week.

READ ALSO: Djokovic In Australian Open Draw As Deportation Threat Loom

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said: “Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here.

“He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.”

The New Zealand international scored 53 goals in 165 matches for Burnley since joining from Leeds in 2017, including three goals in 21 games this season.

He signed in time to make his debut in Saturday’s match against relegation-threatened Watford at St James’ Park,

“I have played at St. James’ Park a few times and it’s an amazing place, so to have the chance to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my teammates is very special,” he added.

Newcastle, who have not won a major trophy since 1969, face a struggle just to stay in the Premier League. They are one place off the foot of the table after a single win in 19 games.

But three months after a controversial takeover by a group led by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund was completed, the club are desperate to strengthen in transfer window as they battle for survival.

oluchi

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
oluchi
Tags: Newcastle

Recent Posts

  • Headlines
  • Politics

Ekiti Guber Candidates Sign Peace Accord Ahead Of Poll

Candidates in the Ekiti State governorship election on Wednesday signed a Peace Accord ahead of the poll billed for Saturday. 

3 hours ago
  • Headlines

Electoral Act: Reps Consider Overriding President Buhari On Statutory Delegates

  The House of Representatives is likely to commence the process of overriding President Muhammadu Buhari on the amended Electoral…

3 hours ago
  • Politics

Ignore Manipulated Video, I Will Never Leave PDP – Wike

  Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has urged Nigerians to ignore the 'manipulated video' suggesting that he is on…

4 hours ago
  • Politics

Senatorial Seat: I Won’t Withdraw For Lawan, Machina Insists

The candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for Yobe North Senatorial District, Bashir Sheriff Machina, has insisted that he…

4 hours ago
  • Crime Watch

Gunmen Abduct Abia Journalist Chucks Onuoha

  Gunmen on Tuesday night kidnapped Chucks Onuoha, an Abia-based journalist. The abduction was made known to newsmen via a…

4 hours ago
  • Politics

Uzodimma Never Advocated Muslim-Muslim Presidential Ticket, Says Imo Govt

  Imo State Government has debunked the claim by some media outlets that Governor Hope Uzodimma advocated a Muslim- Muslim…

5 hours ago