Yobe Govt To Investigate Killing Of Driver By Military, Says Buni

Channels Television  
Updated January 22, 2022
Residents protest the killing of a driver by military operatives at a community in Yobe State on January 22, 2022.


Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, says the government will investigate the killing of a driver by military personnel at Garin Alkali in Gashua, the headquarters of Bade Local Government Area of the state.

In a statement on Saturday by his spokesman, Mamman Mohammed, the governor urged the youths to remain calm, with an assurance that the matter would be investigated for necessary action.

He described the incident as unfortunate, especially at a time when the government was recording progress in sustainable peace across Yobe.

“Government and the security authorities would not tolerate any act of recklessness capable of disrupting our hard-earned peace,” Governor Buni warned. “I, therefore, assure you that government would properly investigate the matter and deal with it decisively.

“I also appeal to our good people of Bade Local Government Area and the entire state to remain calm and law-abiding. We should avoid anything detrimental to our peace. You are advised to be good Muslims and take it as the will of Allah and avoid bonfires on the roads.

“May Allah (SWT) forgive the deceased of his shortcomings, grant him Aljannatur Firdaus, and to his family the fortitude to bear the loss.”

READ ALSOWhat Kano Govt Is Doing To Get Justice For Hanifa Abubakar – Ganduje

A combination of screengrabs from the scene of the protest in Yobe State.


Witnesses had narrated to Channels Television, the events that led to the killing of the driver identified as Mohammed Musa, on Saturday.

According to them, the military personnel who were on patrol arrived at a filling station to enforce the ban on the sale of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), also known as petrol, in jerrycans.

But the sudden arrival of the soldiers reportedly caused panic among the people who were at the facility, as the security operatives came on motorcycles and other military vehicles with their heads covered.

On sighting the soldiers, the people at the station were said to have fled to safety but they were asked to remain calm.

Musa, on his part, was shot dead in an attempt to escape, a development that prompted angry youths to block the road in the area in protest against the killing.