Villagers who escaped a jihadist massacre in northern Burkina Faso said Tuesday they had been left without any protection against the attackers after government forces pulled out of the area.
Over a period of hours on Saturday evening, armed men moved unhampered through the village of Seytenga, shooting, burning and looting, they said.
Seventy-nine people died, according to an upwardly revised toll issued on Tuesday as the Sahel state began three days of mourning.
Read Also: Burkina Faso Plunges Into Mourning After 50 Killed
It is the second bloodiest attack in the nearly seven-year-old history of the jihadist insurgency in Burkina Faso.
The campaign has claimed thousands of lives, forced nearly two million people to flee their homes and dealt a crippling economic blow to one of the world’s poorest countries.
Survivors who fled to Dori, the nearest large town to Seytenga, said the military had pulled out of the area on Friday, a day after a jihadist attack that had killed 11 gendarmes.
“The following day (on Friday), when the bodies were picked up, the security forces packed their bags and left,” said a survivor named Amadou.
“We raised the alarm, we asked for there to be at least a reinforcement to provide security for defenceless people.”
Two other survivors confirmed this account.
“On Friday, the gendarmerie, escorted by the army which had arrived to provide reinforcement, fell back to Dori,” said one.
“When the gendarmerie left after the first attack, people started to flee the town,” said another.
The bloodbath started on Saturday evening, a market day, the witnesses said.
“Armed men came and took position, surrounding the village and opening fire. They even opened doors to go inside homes and execute” people, said Amadou.
– ‘Stayed all night’ –
“They went from shop to shop, sometimes torching them,” one man said. “They opened fire on anyone who tried to run away. They stayed in the town all night.”
A woman named Fatimata, who had a baby girl in her arms, said she was desperate for news of her relatives.
“We are still looking for my brother. Was he able to escape into the countryside? We don’t know right now,” she said.
“They looted homes — they killed anyone they found, men, children. There are so many dead. It’s just awful,” she said.
The toll at Seytenga is surpassed only by an attack at Solhan in the northeast of the country last June that left 132 dead, according to an official toll. Local sources say 160 died.
Anger over the Soltan attack and a raid at Inata that killed 57 gendarmes five months later helped fuel a military coup in January.
A group of colonels ousted elected president Roch Marc Christian Kabore, facing mounting anger for his failure to roll back the insurgency.
The new strongman, Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, named security his key priority.
But after a lull, attacks resumed.
Several hundred people have died in the past three months, underscoring the problems facing the country’s poorly-equipped army against a ruthless and highly mobile foe.
Katherine Gomez, 18, was admitted to hospital last Saturday suffering from burns to 60 percent of her body.
Dayot Upamecano bundled in the second goal in the eighth minute and Mbappe got his name on the scoresheet to…
At 41 years, five months and 21 days, he is now ahead of former Italian goalkeeper Dino Zoff, who played…
"The outgoing administration claimed to have committed huge sums of taxpayers' money to provide basic water, yet households in Kano…
As part of this collaboration, the two entities will award $3 million in Google Cloud credits to women founders in…
The incumbent Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, who is seeking re-election under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), polled 421,524, while Ahmed scored…