Firefighters and emergency workers on Monday battled a raging a fire at the popular Okobaba sawmill in the Ebute-Metta area of Lagos State.
The Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi One-Sanyintolu, who confirmed the incident said no casualty was recorded.
He explained that personnel of the agency’s fire unit battled the inferno along with their counterparts from the Lagos Fire and Federal Fire Services.
The LASEMA DG, however, raised concern that the activities of hoodlums in the area slowed down the progress.
“The agency has made a request for security cover as hoodlums and miscreants are hampering the efforts of the joint responders,” he said.
The agency later gave an update on the incident in the statement below:
The Agency deployed its resources to a fire outbreak at Okobaba Sawmill, Kadara Street, Ebute-Metta today, Monday, 18th July 2022 at about 1:57 pm.
Consequent upon the arrival of the LASEMA Response Team at Onipanu and LRU Fire at Cappa Base, at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that several shanties were engulfed by fire.
Upon investigation at the incident scene, the LASEMA Response Team discovered that the fire outbreak was caused by a sudden explosion of a gas cylinder while cooking.
Fortunately, no loss of lives or injuries were sustained, however, the inferno which cut across residential shanties on Okobaba, end of Kadara Street, and Coates Street was extinguished by the combined efforts of the Response Team.
Emergency responders at the scene are LASEMA Response Team, LRU Fire, Lagos State Fire Service, Federal Fire Service, NPF, Lagos State Task Force and the RRS.
The raging fire was prevented from spreading to Kano Street.
Other adjoining buildings surrounding the residential shanties were salvaged from the inferno.
Dampening down concluded.
See more photos below: