Categories: Politics

Alleged Breach Of Electoral Act: Court Fixes Oct 6 For Suit Against Tinubu, Atiku

A photo combination of APC presidential aspirant, Bola Tinubu, and PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.

 

The Federal High Court in Abuja, has slated October 6 to hear a suit seeking to disqualify the presidential candidate of the All Progressive Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, for allegedly acting in breach of the Electoral Act.

The suit which was instituted by the immediate past Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, and filed alongside a non governmental organization under the aegis of the Incorporated Trustees of Rights for All International, is equally praying the court to disqualify the candidate of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, over the same allegation.

Justice Inyang Ekwo ordered service of all the relevant court processes as well as hearing notices on all the Defendants in the matter.

READ ALSO: How Africa’s Free Trade Area Can Succeed – Buhari


It will be recalled that Nwajiuba, who is a chieftain of the APC and one of its presidential aspirants, had secured leave of the court to sue both his party’s presidential flag-bearer, Tinubu, and that of the PDP, Atiku.

Specifically, the Plaintiffs, in the suit they filed through their lawyer, Mr. Okere Nnamdi, alleged that the primary election that produced Tinubu as the 2023 presidential candidate of the APC, was marred by corruption and massive vote buying, insisting that majority of the delegates were bought over with dollars.

To strengthen his allegation, the ex-Minister who polled only one vote at the primary election that held on June 8, included in his proof of evidence, a video recording showing the immediate past Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, decrying that delegates at the APC primary sold their votes.

Besides, the Plaintiffs queried Tinubu’s source of income and his educational qualifications.

They urged the court to declare that Tinubu, “who had previously sworn an affidavit in the INEC nomination form declaring that he lost his primary and secondary school documents and benefitted therefrom, cannot in a later affidavit deny and abandon same facts deposed in the previous affidavit and thus falsely contradicting his academic qualifications”.

Soonest Nathaniel

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

Minister Inspects National Stadium, Surulere, Restates Commitment To Restore Glory Of Infrastructure

He also inspected the Games Village hostels, Legacy Pitch, Power House, as well as the…

5 hours ago

PSG Seal €45m Deal For Lyon Forward Barcola

Barcola has penned a five-year deal and becomes the French champions' 10th transfer window signing.

6 hours ago

Tinubu Offers Condolences To South Africa Over Fire Incident

The Nigerian President said the collective strength of the South African people and the unwavering…

6 hours ago

Trump Pleads Not Guilty In Georgia Election Case

Trump, 77, surrendered to the Fulton County jail in the state capital Atlanta last week…

6 hours ago

Master Plan: Wike Must Also Demolish Aso Villa, Military Barracks, Says Bwala

Bwala said there are many important things other than demolition that the Minister can focus…

6 hours ago

Palace Sign England Goalkeeper Henderson From Manchester United

His exit from Old Trafford could pave the way for Fenerbahce goalkeeper Altay Bayindir to…

6 hours ago