Categories: World News

Army Foils Coup Attempt In Sao Tome

(FILES) In this file photo taken on September 05, 2018 Prime Minister of Sao Tome and Principe, Patrice Trovoada . A coup attempt has failed in Sao Tome and Principe, the prime minister of the island nation off the western coast of Africa has said. (Photo by Parker Song / POOL / AFP)

 

The military has foiled a coup attempt in Sao Tome and Principe, the prime minister of the island nation off the western coast of Africa said in a video message confirmed by AFP on Friday.

Four men, including the former president of the outgoing National Assembly Delfim Neves, tried to attack army headquarters overnight, Prime Minister Patrice Trovoada said in a video message confirmed by the justice minister.

He said Neves was one of several people arrested.

A resident speaking to AFP anonymously by phone said she had heard “automatic and heavy weapons fire, as well as explosions, for two hours inside the army headquarters” in the nation’s capital.

In the video message, authenticated and sent to AFP by the press office of Sao Tome’s prime minister, Trovoada is seen sitting at a desk saying he wants to “reassure” the population and “the international community”.

“There was an attempted coup d’etat which began around 00:40 am and… ended shortly after 6 am,” he said, adding that “armed forces were attacked in a barracks.”

“The situation in the barracks is under control, but we must be sure that the country is completely under control,” Trovoada said.

– Soldier taken hostage –

He said a soldier had been “taken hostage” and wounded but “would be able to resume his activities in a few days”.

Military personnel were deployed overnight to secure the homes of members of the government and the president, according to the resident who spoke to AFP.

She added that the city was now calm: “People are going about their normal business but schools have asked parents not to send their children.”

Trovoada said: “The operation was ordered by certain personalities from the country in complicity with certain others from within the army.

“The four attackers have been arrested and have denounced certain others, including Delfim Neves and Arlecio Costa.”

Costa is a former Santomean mercenary connected with South Africa’s Buffalo Battalion security group, which was dismantled by Pretoria in 1993. He was also arrested and accused of leading a coup bid in Sao Tome in 2009.

But a group of accomplices who waited aboard vans outside the barracks had not been caught, Trovoada added.

The prime minister announced an inquiry was under way and said the army was “obliged to clarify the situation if there are other ramifications within the armed forces”.

A former Portuguese colony in the Gulf of Guinea, the nation of some 215,000 people is desperately poor and depends on international aid, but is also praised for its political stability and parliamentary democracy.

Neves lost his position on November 11 when the new chamber was installed following elections in September, won with an absolute majority by Trovoada’s centre-right Independent Democratic Action (ADI) party.

Neves also failed in an attempt to be elected president, losing to the ADI’s Carlos Vila Nova in July last year.

The ADI is one of two major parties that have vied to run the nation since independence in 1975, along with the Movement for the Liberation of Sao Tome and Principe-Social Democratic Party (MLSTP-PSD).

The ADI’s electoral triumph saw ex-prime minister Trovoada return to the top job for a third time.

Tom Jones Usen

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Tom Jones Usen
Tags: Sao Tome and Principe

Recent Posts

  • Local

Alleged N4.6bn Fraud: Court Adjourns Fani-Kayode’s Trial

In response to our enquiries, Mr Oyedepo noted that the senior lawyer is not given to frivolous adjournments and so…

10 hours ago
  • Local

Nasarawa Bombing: 37 Persons Buried So Far, Says Gov. Sule

The governor said the victims were from the State.

10 hours ago
  • Sports

Wigan Sack Toure After Just Nine Matches

Toure only agreed to a three-and-a-half-year contract at Wigan on November 29, but his disastrous reign is already over.

10 hours ago
  • Local

Alleged Defilement: Court Admits More Evidence Against Dr. Olaleye 

Dr Olaleye is facing a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault by penetration of his wife’s 16-year-old niece.

10 hours ago
  • Politics

AtikuGate: Keyamo Seeks Court Order To Serve Court Documents Via Substituted Means On Atiku

He added that the retinue of security personnel and aides around the presidential candidate will make it difficult to access…

11 hours ago
  • Headlines

My Govt Will Be For Youths And Women, Atiku Promises

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate made the promise on Thursday at the party's campaign rally in Abakaliki, Ebonyi…

11 hours ago