Categories: Headlines Politics

INEC Will Recover From Recent Attacks, Yakubu Assures Nigerians

 

Ahead of the 2023 general elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has assured Nigerians it will recover from the recent attacks on its facilities.

Speaking at the induction retreat for resident electoral commissioners held in Lagos on Wednesday, INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, said, “Our responsibility is to conduct elections. I want to assure Nigerians that we will recover from these attacks.

“The lost materials will be replaced but there is a limit to our ability to keep replacing lost or damaged items in just 86 days to the general elections.”

READ ALSO: INEC’ll Reproduce Burnt PVCs, Attacks Can’t Stop Elections – Igini

Within the space of three weeks, two attacks were carried out on INEC local government facilities in Ogun and Osun. Though INEC said its Ebonyi office was also attacked on Sunday, the police said fire gutted the facility.

INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, speaks at the induction retreat for Resident Electoral Commissioners in Lagos on November 30, 2022.

 

Two weeks ago, the commission had lamented the spate of attacks on its offices, putting the number of INEC offices attacked by hoodlums at 50. The attacks were recorded in 21 states.

To forestall a reoccurrence of these attacks, Yakubu said the commission will work closely with security agencies and traditional rulers.

INEC holds induction retreat for resident electoral commissioners in Lagos on November 30, 2022.

 

The INEC boss called for the arrest and prosecution of the culprits, “so that vandals and arsonists don’t feel that behaviour is acceptable in our country”.

INEC office was attacked by arsonists on November 27, 2022.

 

“Five local government offices of the commission were attacked by yet unknown persons. Buildings are being destroyed, critical facilities lost,” he added.

“These facilities include a total of 1,992 ballot boxes, 399 voting cubicles and 22 electric-powered generators as well as thousands of uncollected PVCs. These attacks must stop and the perpetrators apprehended and prosecuted.”

Speaking on Sunday’s attack in Ebonyi State, the INEC boss described the situation as regrettable because the arsonists struck two days after electoral officials relocated to its office in the South-Eastern state.

He also decried what he called misleading information in circulation about the possibility of voting without a Permanent Voter’s Card.

According to him, the position of the law is clear and no one without a PVC will be allowed to vote.

Ignatius Igwe

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Ignatius Igwe
Tags: 2023 elections Attacks INEC

Recent Posts

  • Sports

Osimhen, Lorenzo Score As Napoli See Off Salernitana

Napoli do not have to worry about Juventus who had been ahead of Inter on goal difference but were docked…

30 mins ago
  • Sports

Liverpool-Chelsea Stalemate Dents Top Four Hopes, Everton Beaten Again

Both sides are nine points off the top four and could slip further behind should Newcastle win at Crystal Palace…

1 hour ago
  • Crime Watch

Police, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Debunk Students’ Rape Report

Following the trending story of armed robbery and the rape of nine female students at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka,…

2 hours ago
  • Top story

‘PVC Is Your AK-47’, Bayelsa Gov Tells Youths

Governor Duoye Diri also urged youths to shun drug abuse and all acts of violence before, during and after the…

2 hours ago
  • Headlines
  • Politics

Dissolution Of Ekiti PDP Exco Tyrannic, Will Be Challenged In Court – Wike

The Rivers governor dared Ayu to suspend the G5 governors and see if he could withstand the repercussion.

3 hours ago
  • Headlines

Police Confirm Murder Of Two Persons In Ebonyi

The police called members of the public to disregard stories making the rounds that those killed were of the ruling…

4 hours ago