Categories: Qatar 2022 Sports

Roberto Martinez Resigns As Belgium Coach After World Cup Exit

Belgium’s Spanish coach #00 Roberto Martinez looks on during the Qatar 2022 World Cup Group F football match between Croatia and Belgium at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium in Al-Rayyan, west of Doha on December 1, 2022. (Photo by JACK GUEZ / AFP)

 

Belgium coach Roberto Martinez said he was leaving his job after his side were eliminated from the World Cup in Qatar following a 0-0 draw with Croatia on Thursday.

The 49-year-old had been in charge since 2016 and his contract was due to run out after the tournament.

“That was my last game with the national team, I can’t carry on,” Martinez said at his post-match press conference. “It’s the time for me to accept that this is the last game.”

Martinez led Belgium to a third-place finish at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and to the Euro 2020 quarter-finals last year.

But his ageing side could not replicate that form in Qatar, crashing out after scoring just one goal in three games.

The Spaniard said he was always planning to leave after the World Cup.

“That was the end, whatever would happen, whether we were world champions, whether we went out in the group stage,” he said.

“It’s got nothing to do with being eliminated in the group stage.

“Since 2018 I had many opportunities to leave, take jobs at club level, but I wanted to be loyal. I don’t resign, it’s the end of my contract.”

Belgium went into their final Group F game needing to win to be certain of reaching the last 16 after a 1-0 win over Canada and a 2-0 loss to Morocco.

They were left to rue a string of missed late chances by Romelu Lukaku.

“Today, if we would’ve gone through I think we would’ve seen the real Belgium and we could’ve been very competitive in the next rounds,” insisted Martinez.

“The disappointment was against Morocco. Today we were ourselves, we played a very good opposition… The first two games we weren’t ourselves.”

READ ALSOJapan Stun Spain To Make Knockouts As Germany Crash Out

Martinez took over the Belgian national side months after being sacked by Premier League side Everton.

He has still only won one major trophy in his managerial career — the 2013 FA Cup with unfancied Wigan Athletic.

Croatian counterpart Zlatko Dalic believes Martinez will not struggle for offers of other jobs.

“Martinez is my friend, it was a surprise to me,” said Dalic, who took Croatia to the 2018 World Cup final.

“Belgium have lost a great professional. For four years in a row they were first in the FIFA ranking.

“It was his project, but it’s not an abrupt end for him.”

Martinez consoled his players on the pitch after the game in emotional scenes which could herald the end of an era for Belgian football.

They had reached at least the quarter-finals at the past four major tournaments but struggled in Qatar with a team featuring several key players in their 30s.

“We were surprised, he told us that (he was leaving) while crying,” said striker Michy Batshuayi.

“There are a lot of players who cried, it’s the last for some players. It’s the World Cup, it’s not a friendly match, it’s every four years and it’s normal that there are many regrets.”

AFP

Emmanuel Egobiambu

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Emmanuel Egobiambu
Tags: Belgium Martinez Morocco World Cup

Recent Posts

  • Sports

Struggling Salernitana Sack Coach Nicola After Humiliating Defeat

"The club thanks the coach for his passion and dedication (and) for achieving the historic goal of staying in Serie…

6 hours ago
  • Sports

Djokovic Set For Eagerly Anticipated Australian Open Return

Serbia's Djokovic, one of the finest men's tennis players of all time, was deported on the eve of last year's…

6 hours ago
  • World News

Peru Protests: I Will Not Resign, President Boluarte Insists

"I will not resign. My commitment is with Peru."

6 hours ago
  • Local

Obasanjo Leads Alma Mater’s Centenary Walk

They walked and sang the school anthem, among other songs.

6 hours ago
  • Headlines
  • World News

UK Teachers Announce Strike Over Pay

The announcement came as public sector workers hold a wave of walkouts for salaries to take into account double-digit inflation.

6 hours ago
  • World News

Tiger Escapes, Attacks Man In South Africa

The 39-year-old man survived the attack.

6 hours ago