On Friday night, an apartment structure within the palace courtyard of Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II, the Ooni of Ife, went up in flames.
Channels Television gathered that an electrical appliance explosion caused by a power surge in the apartment set off the incident around 11:30 p.m.
The incident was confirmed on Saturday in a statement by the Director of Media and Public Affairs at the Ooni’s Palace, Moses Olafare.
Olafare disclosed that the inferno was quickly put out by the combined efforts of the Government Fire Service, OAU Fire Service, and Palace Emergency Control Unit.
It was said to have only affected the building that was located in a particular area of the palace grounds.