Nasarawa Assembly Crisis: Factional Speaker Accuses Police Of Complicity

Ogazi queried why the Balarabe faction were allowed access to hold plenary in the complex despite police restrictions.

The Nasarawa Assembly complex.


One of the two factional speakers of the Seventh Nasarawa State House of Assembly, Daniel Ogazi, has accused the Nigeria Police of complicity amid the leadership crisis rocking the house.

Ogazi made the accusation when he visited the assembly complex in Lafia on Thursday alongside members of his camp but was allegedly denied access by the police, though the police have yet to react to the claim.

The accusation came following drama at the assembly complex on Tuesday with the emergence of two speakers – Ibrahim Balarabe and Daniel Ogazi – both from the western zone of the state.

READ ALSO: I’ve Met With Factional Speakers To Resolve Crisis, Says Sule

He asked why the Balarabe faction was granted access to hold plenary in the complex, despite police restrictions.

“The former speaker and 10 other members were allowed access into the complex but the 13 of us were denied access,” he lamented.

“That’s why we are telling the whole world that if we are killed in Nasarawa State today, the Commissioner of Police should be held responsible. If there is any problem, he should be held responsible,” he said.

Efforts by Channels Television to get comments from the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Ramhan Nansel, were unsuccessful.

The former speaker’s remarks come shortly after the Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, said he met with the factional speakers of the state’s assembly in a bid to resolve the leadership crisis rocking among the lawmakers.

As a result, the Governor has come under criticism with some accusing him of siding with the Balarabe faction.

However, appearing as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, Sule explained he had called for a truce between both camps, adding that the two contestants for the speakership position were friends.

He said, “We tried everything possible to see how we could resolve the matter between them. I have met with them many times prior to the day of the inauguration.

“Unfortunately, everybody stood his ground. On my part, I had to send the clerk to go ahead and inaugurate the House and then bring a Speaker.

“But as early as 4:30 am, they woke me up with calls that ‘there is a problem at the Assembly.’ They said the first group had gone in around 1 am to enter the Assembly for a programme that was slated for 8 am.”