Categories: Sports

Brazil Drop Antony Over Ex-Girlfriend Assault Claim

 

Manchester United winger Antony was dropped from Brazil’s squad for upcoming World Cup qualifying games on Monday following allegations of assault made against him by an ex-girlfriend.

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said in a statement that Antony had been stood down in order to “preserve the alleged victim, the player, the Brazil team and the CBF.”

Arsenal forward Gabriel Jesus will replace Antony in the squad for the games against Bolivia on September 8 and Peru on September 12.

Antony, 23, on Monday denied physically assaulting ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin in a statement on Instagram, stating he was the “victim of false accusations.”

“I can calmly affirm that the accusations are false, and that evidence already produced and that will be produced will show that I am innocent,” Antony said.

READ ALSO: Messi Assists Miami To Big Win Over MLS Champions LAFC

The denial came after Brazilian press reports published WhatsApp messages reputedly between Antony and Cavallin in which the player allegedly threatens his ex-partner.

In one of the conversations cited by local media, Cavallin says he must apologize for “kicks and assaults.”

Antony then appears to reply “sorry” in response.

Cavallin is also shown in one photo with an apparent head wound.

Antony said in his Instagram post that his relationship with Cavallin was “tumultuous, with verbal abuse on both sides.”

However he denied assaulting her. “I never practiced physical aggression,” he said.

“At each moment, she presents a different version of the accusations,” Antony added.

“I am confident that the ongoing police investigations will prove the truth,” he concluded.

AFP

Donatus Anichukwueze

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Donatus Anichukwueze
Tags: antony

Recent Posts

CAN Faults FIRS’ ‘Offensive’ Easter Message, Demands Apology 

FIRS had posted the Easter message on its social media platforms, sharing a point of…

19 mins ago

Formula One Owners Liberty Media Buy MotoGP For $4.5 Bn

MotoGP said in a statement that Liberty Media would acquire an "approximately 86 per cent"…

27 mins ago

Ahmed Musa Explains Why He Did Not Shake Hands With Kano Gov Abba Yusuf

A video of Musa at the Kano State Government House last month generated controversy on…

47 mins ago

Rookie Lapeira Wins Tour Of Basque Country Sprint

This was a third win so far in 2024 for the 23-year-old AG2R rider Lapeira,…

49 mins ago

CAS Rejects IBA’s Appeal To Organise Olympic Boxing

The International Olympic Committee withdrew its recognition of boxing's governing body, the IBA, last year…

1 hour ago

Angry Youths Destroy Farmer’s House, Poultry In Plateau

The farm owner and his family have been taken into police custody for safety.

1 hour ago