Categories: Local

Wike Denies Inviting EFCC, ICPC To Investigate Predecessor Bello 

 

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike has debunked “recent online media reports” claiming plans to invite the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate the immediate past FCT Minister, Muhammad Bello, in relation to certain irregularities in the award of contracts and other such matters.

The Director of Press in the FCT Ministry in the Office of the Minister, Anthony Ogunleye, in a statement on Saturday, said, “We categorically and unequivocally state that these reports are entirely baseless and without any merit whatsoever.

“The FCT Minister, during his routine inspections of various projects within the FCT, has indeed expressed concerns and frustrations regarding irregularities observed in the procurement and execution of certain projects, amongst other observations which he very publicly expressed.

“However, at no point did he contemplate or authorize any action by anyone within or outside the FCT Administration to invite the EFCC or ICPC to investigate the former FCT Minister in connection with these or any other matters.

READ ALSO: Wike To Flag Off Re-Surfacing, Rehabilitation Of Abuja Roads

Ogunleye added that “the online story in question is nothing more than a product of the imagination of its authors and is clearly designed to mischievously sow discord and confusion among the general public.

“We view such misinformation with great concern and urge the public and well-meaning Nigerians to exercise caution and discernment when encountering such unfounded reports.

“The FCT Minister remains focused on his responsibilities to ensure the efficient and transparent administration of the Federal Capital Territory. Any actions or decisions taken by the FCTA in this regard will be communicated through official channels and in accordance with due process.

“We hereby advise the general public to disregard the story in its entirety, as it is nothing but a deliberate attempt to spread fake news and create unnecessary tensions.

“Barrister Nyesom Wike remains committed to upholding the highest standards of integrity and accountability in the discharge of his duties and remains committed to building the FCT of our collective dreams.”

Donatus Anichukwueze

Disqus Comments Loading...
Share
Published by
Donatus Anichukwueze

Recent Posts

UK Warship Arrives Nigeria To Support Maritime Security

This is Trent’s second visit to Nigeria, the British High Commission said in a statement.

6 hours ago

Two-Year Transition To Elections ‘Reasonable’ – Gabon PM

Ndong Sima was appointed last week as head of the transitional government by General Brice…

6 hours ago

Armed Groups Vow To Battle Mali Junta

The armed groups' statement followed a suicide attack Friday on a military base in northern…

6 hours ago

Nigeria Needs N21 Trillion To Address Housing Deficit, Says Shettima

He was speaking during the ground-breaking of a five-hundred-unit housing estate to be constructed by…

6 hours ago

Nigeria Gets $163m AfDB Loan To Support Wheat Production – Shettima

Shettima assured that President Bola Tinubu's government will fulfill all promises made to Nigerians.

6 hours ago

Rubiales Says He Will Resign Over Kiss Scandal

The chief was suspended by FIFA provisionally for 90 days, while Spanish public prosecutors filed…

7 hours ago