Lagos Nat’l Stadium: Reps. To Liaise With Agencies Over Renovation

Reps. To Liaise With Agencies Over Lagos Nat'l Stadium RenovationThe House of Representatives is to liaise with the Ministry of Sports and the National Sports Commission (NSC) to devise a scheme for the renovation of the National Stadium in Lagos State.

The motion was moved by a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) , Honourable Oghene Egoh, on Wednesday in Abuja.

Hounourable Egoh decried that the stadium had suffered a decade of desertion.

The House also urged the Federal Government and its agencies to ensure that the needed funds for the renovation is integrated to the 2016 Budget proposal.

 

Ogun State Assembly Screens Commissioner-nominees

Ogun State Assembly Screens Commissioner-nominees

The Ogun State House of Assembly has screened 18 commissioner-nominees whose names had earlier been sent before it for confirmation by the State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun.

The commissioner-nominees, who appeared before the House included six, who had served during Governor Amosun’s first term between 2011 and 2015.

The screening of the nominees was presided over by the Speaker of the Ogun State Assemly, Suraj Adekunbi, on Wednesday.

During the exercise, which lasted about five hours, all the commissioner-nominees‎ were asked various questions ranging from their professional competence, to experiences and capacity to serve the state.

The nominees are Adebola Adeife, Arc. Olamilekan Adegbite, Gbenga Ademosun, Adeleke Adewolu‎, Afolabi Afuwape, Mrs Yewande Amusan, Otunba Bimbo Ashiru, Sunday Bamiwola, Dr Babatunde Ipaye and Chief Kolawole Lawal.

Others include Chief Jide Ojuko, Chief Muyiwa Oladipo, Miss Adenike Osoba, Bolaji Oyeleye, Mrs Ronke Sokefun, Arc. Segun Abiodun, Dr Olumide Ayeni and Rotimi Durojaiye.

In his remarks, Honourable Adekunbi stated that the lawmakers’ approval would enable the Governor to appoint commissioners that would assist him in steering the affairs of the state creditably in his second term of office.

He charged the nominees to ‎strengthen the existing relationship between the Executive and Legislative arms of government in the state, if they are eventually confirmed.

He also tasked them to work diligently towards improving revenue generation and ensuring completion of ongoing capital projects across the state.

The Speaker, who expressed the resolve of the lawmakers to cooperate with the executive, said they would continue to put in place necessary framework to engender good governance.

“The purpose of this screening is to legitimise the appointments of the Governor and make sure we have quality assurance that as soon as the cabinet is constituted, the government will hit the ground running.

“We are on a sincere mission to rebuild our state. One of the factors that assisted us during the first term is the cordiality between executive and legislature.

“We are here to consolidate on the achievements of the first term. We want our commissioner-nominees to do their bit and ensure harmony among all the arms of government. ‎We are ever ready to collaborate with the Executive towards having Ogun State of our dream,” Adekunbi said.

CDS, Service Chiefs Meet To Re-strategise Military Operations

CDS, Others Meet To Re-strategise Military OperationsThe Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Abayomi Olonisakin, has met with top military officers to re-strategise the operations of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

The CDS, in company with the Chiefs of Air and Naval Staff as well as other senior military officers converged on 97 Special Operation Group of the Nigerian Air Force on Wednesday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

General Olonishakin told journalists that the service chiefs were meeting to re-strategise on military operations in the fight against terror.

The CDS expressed optimism that in spite of the recent resurgence of Boko Haram attacks in parts of the country and the recent explosions in Damaturu, Yobe State, the military is poised to meet President Buhari’s deadline to end insurgency by the end of the year.

The Nigerian Army also reiterated its willingness to continue to collaborate with the Republic of Korean Army in building capacity of its military for efficient performance.

Olonisakin condoled with families of seven soldiers who lost their lives during a gun battle with members of Boko Haram on Tuesday in Damaturu, Yobe State, promising that the military was on top of the situation to forestall any recurrence of the incident.

“The essence of our visit to Port Harcourt is to look at the operational readiness and preparedness of the troops and to see how we can enhance their performances. We are working on the December deadline by Mr. President. We are re-addressing our strategies to ensure we comply with the order.

“I must say that we sympathise with the families of those that have lost their loved ones in that incident. The military is on top of it to ensure that we checkmate such reoccurrences,” Olonisakin said.

Olonisakin was also at the 97 Special Operations Group, Airforce Base, Port Harcourt, with the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, and other security chiefs, where he had a meeting with security personnel.

NEMA Confirms Yobe Multiple Blasts

NEMA Confirms Yobe Multiple BlastsThe National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed the multiple bomb attacks that occurred in Yobe State on Wednesday.

The suicide bomb explosions, which claimed 18 lives, took place in Damaturu, the Yobe State’s capital in Nigeria’s North-east region.

Speaking in an interview with Channel Television, the Zonal Coordinator of the Agency in Yobe State, Bashir Garga, affirmed that the incident occurred in the very early hours in three different locations and appeared coordinated.

Mr Garga also stressed that it seemed a family was targeted in an attack, as a Fulani settlement was also affected.

Meanwhile, the Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, condoled with the families of victims of the multiple blasts which was also confirmed by the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, Toyin Gbadegesin.

A statement issued by the Director of press to the State Governor, Abdullahi Bego, stated that Governor Gaidam had ordered immediate free medical care for those who sustained injuries in the dreaded attacks.

The statement condemned the attack, describing it as cowardly and barbaric, as well as urged residents in the state not to relent in their exemplary support and cooperation with security agents.

I Am Not Surprised At Alison-Madueke’s Travails – Oshiomhole

Oshiomhole Not Surprised At Alison-Madueke's TravailsEdo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, on Wednesday said he is not surprised at what is happening to former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, with the Metro Police in the United Kingdom (UK).

Governor Oshiomhole made this known in a session with State House correspondents in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.

He said despite the media hype by the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan that it re-based the economy, he did not see anybody that said average Nigerians did better under the Jonathan administration.

The immediate past Minister of Petroleum Resources was arrested along with four other persons in relation to corruption allegations being investigated by the UK National Crime Agency.

Under her watch the then Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, alleged missing funds in the Nigerian National Petroleum Commission (NNPC), amounting to 20 billion dollars.

It was alleged earlier in the year that the former Petroleum Minister, who was one of the closest to the administration of former President Jonathan, would flee the country, to avoid being prosecuted over allegations of fraud, especially in the NNPC.

Mrs Alison-Madueke, at the time, denied seeking asylum in any part of the world, stating that the Jonathan administration had done a lot in the Oil and Gas industry that cannot be rubbished by malicious claims.

Nnamani Tasks Buhari On War Against Corruption

Nnamani Tasks Buhari On War Against CorruptionNigeria’s former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure that the war against corruption is extended to all parts of the country.

Senator Nnamani, made the call sequel to President Buhari’s speech at the United Nations General Assembly in New York, where the President described corruption and cross border financial crimes as “major obstacles to development and economic growth”.

Senatoe Nnamani advocated the spread of the anti-corruption campaign across board irrespective of who is involved and in which administration he served.

He also asked the Nigerian President to ensure that all issues of monumental graft, especially those that have brought Nigeria international disrespect such as the Halliburton and Siemens scandals are prosecuted.

Various groups have also called on President Buhari to intensify efforts in his fight against corruption as Nigeria celebrates its 55 years of independence.

A Clergy, Rev Funsho Ajibode, during a march, organised by New Convenient Church to commemorate the Independence Day anniversary in Osogbo, to urged the President to take Nigeria notches higher than he met the country.

He noted that Nigeria at 55 is yet to reach its potential and might not be unconnected with the way it had been governed in the past, stressing that a lot of things were misplaced.

Federal Legislator Expresses Fear Over Adamawa Security Situation

Reps. Member Expresses Fear Over Adamawa Security SituationA member of the House of Representatives, Representative Adamu Kamale, says in spite of reports of success, parts of Adamawa State, North-East Nigeria, are experiencing worsening security situation.

The lawmaker at the Lower Chamber of the National Assembly, made the statement in Abuja while moving a motion of urgent national importance.

He asked the Nigerian military to provide sufficient security personnel in Adamawa State and other parts of the country, maintaining that this would help reduce the rate of insurgent attacks in the troubled region of the country.

The Nigerian Army had earlier on Wednesday, disclosed that troops of the Army 120 Task Force Battalion in Yobe State killed more than 100 fleeing terrorists at Goniri area of the state.

A statement issued by the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, stated that seven soldiers died while nine others were wounded when the terrorists attempted to invade the Military Base at Goniri.

The House of Representatives, however, commended the Federal government for setting up the Victims Support Fund for assisting victims of insurgency in the country.

Turkish Airspace Violation: NATO Not Satisfied With Russia’s Claim

Turkish Airspace Violation: NATO Not Satisfied With Russia’s ClaimNATO has disputed the claim by the Russian government that one of its planes entered into Turkish airspace by mistake.

According to NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, Russia’s reason was not explanatory enough for the violation of Turkish airspace.

The Russian government had explained that the incident was due to bad weather, stating that its plane did not know when it entered into turkey, claiming it was an honest mistake.

Russia has been conducting airstrikes in Syria, claiming to be targeted at the Islamic State militants there.

Rights groups have denied this, noting that the strikes were targeted at the opposition rebel groups in Syria, thereby helping the government of President Bashar Al-Assad.

The US and other western countries are also suspecting that Russia is indeed helping the Syrian government and have called for an end to the airstrikes.

Aden Hotel Attack: Yemen’s PM Escapes Unharmed

Aden Hotel Attack: Yemen's PM Escapes Unharmed Yemen’s Prime Minister (PM), Khaled Bahah, has escaped the explosion that rocked a Hotel in Aden in Yemen early on Tuesday.

15 Saudi-led coalition troops and pro-government fighters have been killed in the grenade attack on the Qasr hotel, which is frequently used by the Yemeni PM and his cabinet, early on Tuesday.

According to BBC, PM Bahah and members of his government escaped unharmed.

While the United Arab Emirates blamed rocket-fire from Houthi rebels, the Islamic State (IS) said suicide bombers were responsible.

The Qasr hotel has been used as a seat of government since a Saudi-led coalition forced Houthi rebels from Aden, Yemen’s second city.

The Houthi rebels advanced on the city and in March, forced Yemeni President, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi and the government to flee to Saudi Arabia.

In July, pro-government militiamen and soldiers drove the Houthis and allied army units out of the port city with the help of coalition ground forces.

President Hadi returned to Aden from exile late last month, though he was not reported to be staying at the hotel when the attack was launched.

Libya’s Acknowledged Parliament Extends Mandate

Libya's Acknowledged Parliament Extends MandateThe internationally-recognised Parliament in Libya has voted to extend its term beyond October 20, as it appears the political crisis in the country may continue to linger.

Analysts believe that the decision could complicate efforts by the United Nations and western powers to bring an end to the country’s protracted political stalemate.

However, the Parliament’s spokesman says it is still supporting un-sponsored talks that resumed in Morocco during the week.

Libya has had two rival parliaments and governments, backed by rival militia groups, since last summer.

Islamist militia seized Tripoli in August 2014 and established the General National Congress (GNC), forcing the existing and internationally-recognised government to flee to the eastern city of Tobruk.

Facebook Set To Launch Satellite In 2016

Facebook Set To Launch Satellite In 2016The founder of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced that the social network will launch a satellite that will provide internet access to remote parts of Africa.

As part of their Internet.org efforts to connect the world, the social network is partnering with Eutelsat to launch a satellite into orbit that will connect millions of people.

According to a post on the social network, Zuckerberg is optimistic that the first satellite will be launched in 2016, in partnership with French-based satellite provider Eutelsat.

He highlighted that over the last year, Facebook had been exploring ways to use aircraft and satellites to beam internet access down into communities from the sky.

The Facebook founder stressed the need to develop new technologies. He said “to connect people living in remote regions, traditional connectivity infrastructure is often difficult and inefficient, so we need to invent new technologies.

“As part of our collaboration with Eutelsat, a new satellite called AMOS-6 is going to provide internet coverage to large parts of Sub-Saharan Africa.

“The AMOS-6 satellite is under construction now and will launch in 2016 into a geostationary orbit that will cover large parts of West, East and Southern Africa.

“We are going to work with local partners across these regions to help communities begin accessing internet services provided through satellite,” Zuckerberg posted on Facebook.

Ondo Youths Ask BEDC To Restore Power Supply

Ondo Youths Ask BEDC To Restore Power SupplySome youths in Ondo State have called for the restoration of power supply to communities of the Southern Senatorial District of the state, by the electricity distribution company operating in the region.

The youths drawn from the various towns and villages converged on Okitipupa, the headquarters of the Senatorial District, for a peaceful protest with placards in their hands ‎demanding the restoration of power to the area.

They asked the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) to as a matter of urgency, restore electricity to their communities which they lamented have been without power for almost a year now.

The angry youths lamented the paralysed socio-economic activities, adding that the jobless able-bodied youths have turned to anti-social activities to make ends meet.

They claimed that while the Northern and Central Senatorial Districts of the state have considerable supply of power, their communities had been experiencing total darkness.

Leader of the protesting youths, Sayo Onikun, also decried the lack of infrastructure and basic amenities in the area, despite the fact that it produces the largest chunk of resources in Ondo State.

Some of the protesters Babatunde Olatimehin and Jerome Joshua‎ attributed the high level of poverty in the senatorial district to lack of infrastructure and employment opportunities.

The youths posited that they have endured the suffering enough, adding that they want to live a comfortable life just like people in other parts of the state.