Navy Arrests Ship Along Eastern Waterways

Navy Arrests Ship Along Eastern WaterwaysThe Eastern Command of the Nigerian Navy has arrested a ship operating illegally along the Eastern waterways.

The new Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Atiku Abdulkadir, made the disclosure while speaking to reporters along the waterways in Cross River State Nigeria’s South-southern region.

The Navy boss noted that the vessel, which had 14 Nigerians and a Ghanaian on board was operating without a valid permit from the Navy and the Federal Ministry of Agriculture.

On the implications of violating the regulations of the Navy and that of fishing authorities, the Rear Admiral stated that such activities could endanger the lives of other marine operators.

Raising further concerns on the security implications, he stressed that the vessel could be taken over by pirates for criminal activities as well as scaring other water users.

The Captain of the vessel, Martin Beleta, also admitted to operating the vessel without permit.

The Command sounded a clear warning to sea pirates and illegal operators of the Eastern Naval Command to desist from perpetrating crimes along its waterways, cautioning that perpetrators would be made to face the full wrought of the law.

NEMA Donates Relief Materials To Kebbi Flood Victims

NEMA Donates Relief Materials To Kebbi Flood VictimsThe National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has donated relief materials to flood victims in Kebbi State, North-west Nigeria.

The development is coming after an estimated 21, 450 people were displaced by the recent torrent disaster, as the state is said to be the worst hit so far this year.

According to NEMA’s latest report on Kebbi’s flood, two communities in Makera Local Government Area (LGA) were completely dislodged from the flood in addition to 150 hectares of farmland, 480 houses destroyed and 4500 persons displaced.

The Director General of NEMA, Sani Sidi, disclosed that a total of 37, 460 hectares of farmland covering about 10 LGAs of the state, along with over 5,000 houses were washed away by the flood.

However, NEMA believed that more analysis may reveal further discovery of affected victims which prompted the agency to deploy a large amount of relief materials involving food items, medical facilities, as well as emergency sheltering equipment.

Receiving the materials, Kebbi State Governor, Atiku Bagudu, revealed that the State government had so far spent over 200 million Naira in managing the crisis across the affected areas.

Governor Bagudu noted that the government is looking for a way to manage the lost incurred mostly by the farmers.

He added that the State government had entered into partnership with the Sokoto State government, to see the possibility of improving water management within the two states.

As Kebbi State is set to experience food shortage, the government has prepared to embark on massive food supply for people in the state.

S/Arabia Stampede: CJN Confirms Death Of Two Justices

S/Arabia Stampede: CJN Confirms Death Of Two JusticesThe Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Mahmud Mohammed, has confirmed the death of two Court of Appeal justices among those who died during the deadly stampede at Mina, Saudi Arabia on Thursday.

A statement issued by the CJN gave the names of the deceased as Justice Abdulkadir Jega, who is the brother of the past INEC Chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega; and Justice Musa Hassan Alkali of the Ilorin Division.

Meanwhile, the Executive Secretary, Gombe State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Mr Usman Arabia, says that some pilgrims have not been located since Thursday.

He added that members of the medical team had been checking hospitals and mortuaries with a view to locating them or their remains.

However, Mr Arabia noted that for now, it is yet to be confirmed whether they were among those who died as a result of Thursday’s incident at the stone throwing venue, where over 700 pilgrims died.

Seven Die As Nigerian Air Force Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna

Air-Force-Aircraft-crashA Dornier 228 light aircraft belonging to the Nigerian Air Force has crashed in Kaduna, Northwest Nigeria.

The aircraft was said to be on its way to Abuja after taking off from the Air Force Base in Kaduna when it crashed at the old site of the Nigerian Defence Academy also in Kaduna, less than ten minutes after it took off.

An eyewitness told Channels Television that the ill fated aircraft spinning severally before it crashed with a loud sound.

Upon crashing, the remains of the aircraft went up in flames, the crash also affected some residential buildings inside the Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).

The Quick response of emergency agencies including NEMA and Red Cross officials, led to the fire being put out promptly before the rescue operations could commence. But journalists were barred by soldiers at the NDA gate from getting access to the scene of the crash.

The Northwest Zonal Coordinator of National Emergency Management Agency(NEMA) Musa Ilalah told journalists outside the barracks, that all the seven persons on board the  jet, including the  four crew members and three passengers all  died following the crash.

In the meantime, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar has visited the scene of the blast.

Anambra CP Declares ‘Operation Raid’ On Criminal Hideouts

Anambra CP Declares Operation Raid On Criminal HideoutsThe Commissioner of Police in Anambra State, Mr Hassan Karma, has announced ”Operation Raid” on all criminal hideouts and camps from August 20.

The police boss’ declaration is coming after his men arrested and recovered arms from suspected armed robbers, who made an attempt to rob unsuspecting members of the public before been caught in Ogidi in Idemili North and Oraifite in Ekwusigo Local Government Areas of Anambra State, South-East Nigeria.

Mr Karma made the disclosure while addressing journalists at the State Police Headquarters in Awka, the state’s capital.

He said the state was at its best in terms of security, stating that the command would not relent in its efforts to suppress criminals, as well as maintain crime free status in Anambra State.

Meanwhile, the Police Commissioner also decorated four of his men who were promoted to the rank of Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP).

While expressing gratitude to the Inspector General of Police for finding his men worthy of elevation, Karma charged the newly promoted officers to continue to show exemplary work attitude.

He also encouraged them to perform better in order to qualify for more promotion, cautioning that the command would not hesitate to discipline any of them found wanting.

 


 

Naval Chief Calls For Effective Prosecution Of Oil Thieves

Naval Chief Calls For Effective Prosecution Of Oil ThievesThe Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has called for the effective prosecution of oil thieves in Nigeria.

The Naval Chief made this statement after the destruction of an illegal refinery by the base operations of Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Pathfinder in Rivers State.

He noted that oil theft had been intense in the last two months, maintaining that 78 illegal refineries and over 900,000 litres of stolen crude were destroyed within the period.

The operation was led by the Base Operations Officer of the NNS Pathfinder, Commander Innocent Ejiofor.

However,in a meeting with senior naval officers at the Eastern Naval Command in Port Harcourt Area, the Naval boss warned that no naval officer caught aiding and abetting crude oil theft would be spared.

He also hinted that the Navy was re strategising to make life unbearable for crude oil thieves in the country.

France Begins MH370 Debris’ Searches Around Reunion

France Begins MH370 Debris' Searches Around Reunion IslandFrance has commenced air, land and sea searches on and around the French Indian Ocean Island of Reunion.

These searches launched by France are coming in the anticipation of recovering more remains that could be linked to the MH370.

According to BBC, Malaysia said on Thursday that a wing section found on the island definitely came from the doomed Malaysia Airlines flight.

However, the French investigators have not confirmed the link which is causing frustration among the families of victims.

France had also dismissed the statements made by Malaysia that more debris had been found.

The Boeing 777, which had 239 people on board and most of which were Chinese, was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014 when it disappeared from radar.

A piece of debris that experts believed could be from the missing flight MH370 earlier arrived Paris, France’s capital, from the Island where it was found.

CAS Approves Postings And Appointments Of 334 Army Officers

CAS Approves Postings And Appointments Of 334 Army OfficersThe Chief of Army Staff (CAS), Major General Tukur Buratai, has approved the postings and appointments of 334 officers of the Nigerian Army.

They include some Principal Staff Officers at Defence and Army Headquarters, Corps Commanders and General Officers Commanding, as well as other commanders.

The postings and appointments affected 37 Major Generals, 57 Brigadier Generals, 128 Colonels, several Lieutenants Colonels and others.

Some of those affected by the redeployment are the General Officers Commanding 1, 2, 3, 81 and 82 Divisions, Operations Pulo Shield and Safe Haven of Niger-Delta and Plateau State.

The redeployment is as follows:

Major General S. Yusuf, General Officer Commanding 82 Division is now Chief of Training and Operations at Defence Headquarters

Major General M.A. Koleoso is now Commander TRADOC

Major General S.N. Muazu moved from 2 Division to the Headquarters Infantry Corps and appointed Commander

Major General M.T. Ibrahim, from Department of Army Standard and Evaluation to Nigerian Defence Academy and appointed Commandant

Major General L.K.J. Ogunewe is now the Chief of Policy and Plans

Major General F.O. Alli is now Chief of Training and Operations

Major General A.A. Salihu is now Chief of Logistics.

Major General A.G. Okunola, who is now Commander of Operation Pulo Shield (JTF).

Major General T.C. Ude, Commander, Operation Safe Haven (STF Jos).

Major General L.W. Wiwa, now Deputy Commandant of Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre.

Major General A. Oyebade is now the General Officer Commanding 1 Division.

Major General L.C. Ilo, General Officer Commanding 2 Division.

Major General H. Umaru, General Officer Commanding 3 Division.

Major General I.H. Edet, General Officer Commanding 81 Division.

Brigadier General I. Attahiru is now the Acting General Officer Commanding 82 Division.

Brigadier General A.H. Saad is the Acting Director of Military Intelligence.

Brigadier General A.T. Hamman is now the Acting Provost Marshal.

Brigadier General M.O. Uzoh, Acting Commander, Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

Brigadier General A.A. Jidda, Acting Commander Corps of Supply and Transport.

Brigadier General L.F. Abdullahi, Acting Commander, Nigerian Army Education Corps.

Brigadier General S.O. Olabanji, is now Commander 2 Brigade.

Brigadier General M.S.A. Aliyu, Commander 21 Brigade.

Colonel R. Abubakar, will be the Acting Director Defence Information.

DSS Arrests Alleged Kidnap Kingpin In Imo

DSS Arrest Kidnap Kingpin Suspect In ImoThe Department of State Services (DSS), Imo State Command, has arrested one 28-year-old notorious kidnap kingpin, Henry Chibueze, also known as Vampire in the state.

Chibueze, who is a native of Nwangele Local Government Area of Imo State, south-east Nigeria, was arrested alongside his partner and his personal native doctor.

He confessed to being the brain behind many kidnappings in the state and the murder of his girlfriend, who he claimed stole 45 million Naira from a ransom paid by one of his victims.

The suspect was paraded by the State Director, Mr Francis Ejiofor, on Thursday at the DSS Command Headquarters in Owerri, the Imo State capital, in the presence of Governor Rochas Okorocha.

Mr Ejiofor said that the suspect had been declared wanted by security operatives in Imo State, following his vicious criminal records within and outside the state.

The DSS boss narrated further that the suspect was trailed to Ohafia in the state, where he was receiving treatment following the gunshot wounds he sustained during a gun duel with men of the service.

While commending the DSS for a job well done, Governor Okorocha also challenged them to be more proactive in their duties and continue to fight crime in the state in the interest of Imo citizens.

Imo residents would be hoping that with the arrest of Henry Chibueze, various crimes, especially armed robbery and kidnapping, would be brought to its barest minimum in the state.

Meanwhile, to further check the spate of criminal activities in the state, the Imo State Government has donated 15 Toyota Hilux vans to security operatives in the state.

APGA Accuses Abia Govt. Of Indifference Towards Otti’s Alleged Robbery Attack

APGA Berates Abia State Government Over Otti's Alleged Robbery AttackThe All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) has accused the Abia State Government of being indifferent towards the alleged robbery attack at the Abuja residence of its governorship candidate, Dr. Alex Otti.

The Abia State Chairman of the party, Augustine Ehiemere, said this on Thursday during a press conference in Umuahia, the state capital.

Ehiemere said that the action of the state government was a rude shock as they were treating the matter with kids glove.

He, therefore, called on the Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase, to thoroughly investigate the matter.

Meanwhile, the Chief Press Secretary to the State Government, Godwin Adindu, has said that APGA was simply raising a false alarm.

According to the Governor’s spokesman, the robbery incident only happened around the vicinity where he resides and not targeted directly at him.

APC Forum Urges Buhari To Consider South-East Region

APC Forum Urges Buhari To Carry South-East AlongThe All Progressives Congress (APC) State Assembly Forum in Nigeria’s Southeast region has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to consider the Southeast region in his administration.

Addressing reporters in Aba, the commercial centre of Abia State, the Chairman of the forum, James Chikwendu, urged the President to carry the Igbos along in the list of appointments, so as to remove doubts of marginalisation.

Mr Chikwendu said that it was worrisome that nobody from the Southeast had been considered yet in the list of appointments recently made by the Presidency.

The forum then pledged their support for President Buhari, for his determination to recover the country’s stolen funds, fight corruption and end insurgency.

They also urged those elected on the platform of the APC to fulfill their campaign promises and ensure good governance to the people.

FG Quashes JAMB’s Admission Policy

FG Quashes JAMB's Admission PolicyThe Federal Government has quashed the new admission policy adopted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

The examination body had implemented a policy with which students seeking admission into various Nigerian universities with excessive candidates for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) are redistributed to other universities with lower number of candidates.

The Presidency’s decision was disclosed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education, Mr MacJohn ‎Nwaobiala‎, after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on the ministry’s activities and challenges at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

Prior to Nwaobiala’s meeting with the President, JAMB Registrar, Professor Dibu Ojerinde, on Monday, explained the rationale behind the examination body’s new admission policy, which had generated protests from candidates and parents.

Professor Ojerinde said that the new policy was to save the time and energy of the students and reduce the number of students who fail to get admission into tertiary institutions yearly.

He said that all schools, including the University of Lagos (UNILAG) had their standards depending on the number of candidates applying into their institutions.

JAMB Registrar further stressed that although, JAMB had set its procedures by setting the cut-off mark at 180, “it does not mean all 180 scorers would be called for the Post-UTME” also called post-JAMB examinations in the schools.

However, the President of the Association of Tutorial School Operators, Oludotun Sodunke, had accused JAMB of not carrying the stakeholders along in their decision-making, but Professor Ojerinde debunked the claim.