Quiz Of The Week: Who Scored Nigeria’s Winning Goal Against Benin Republic?

Quiz Of The Week: What Happened To Nigeria’s First Oscar Entry?

 

Quick Quiz: Which Head Of State Created NYSC?

I Never Expected Commendation Or Award, Onyema Tells Reps

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Air Peace airline, Allen Onyema on Wednesday told the House of Representatives that he never expected to receive a recommendation for a national award.

Onyema was invited to the green chambers and recommended for a national award, after he used his airline to freely evacuate Nigerians from South Africa, following the recent xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other foreigners in the country.

In his remarks, the Air Peace boss thanked the lawmakers for the honour, adding that his actions were spontaneous and he would do anything to evacuate even a single Nigerian.

“I did not do it spontaneously, nor did I do it for publicity, I had to mortgage my landing right in South Africa because I just got the landing right before the crisis.

“I did not give a damn, I never did, because I know that I will not go to heaven with any dime.

“I have never been so honoured in my life. You have brought tears to my eyes. I would not have been able to do this if the federal government did not allow me or assemble those people for me to evacuate,” he said.

READ ALSO: Xenophobia: Why Air Peace Is Evacuating Nigerians For Free – CEO

Onyema had earlier told Channels Television in an interview that he is using his airline to freely evacuate Nigerians from South Africa because he wants the world to see Nigeria respected as a nation

Speaking further in the interview, he noted that evacuation of foreigners from another country isn’t a good sign for the affected nation involved.

On Wednesday last week, the Air Peace airline evacuated no fewer than 185 Nigerians who indicate interest to return home as a result of the xenophobic attacks on foreigners in South Africa.

Another set of about 319 people are expected to return to the country today but the trip earlier suffered a setback as a result of landing permit.

Having resolved the issue and secured the permit for the plane to land in Johannesburg, Onyema said the South African authorities gave the airline an arrival time.

He insisted that it was not the first time he was making a contribution to the nation’s development and highlighted his role in restoring peace to the Niger Delta in the heat of militancy in the region.

US To Host Bolsonaro In Early 2019

In this file photo taken on October 28, 2018, Jair Bolsonaro, far-right lawmaker and presidential candidate for the Social Liberal Party (PSL), waves to supporters, during the second round of the presidential elections, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP

 

Brazil’s incoming right-wing leader Jair Bolsonaro will visit Washington early next year as he finds common ground with President Donald Trump, a US official said on Friday.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is set to attend Bolsonaro’s New Year’s Day inauguration in Brasilia and will discuss Trump’s invitation to Washington, the official said.

“We look forward to what will hopefully be his first official visit early in the year ahead,” the official told reporters on condition of anonymity.

The Trump administration sees a strong ally in Bolsonaro, who is following the lead of the United States in moving Brazil’s embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and has been critical of international efforts to fight climate change.

The US official noted that both Bolsonaro and Pompeo have warned of risks to Latin America from rising investment by China, whose financing of projects has turned into debt traps.

“It’s not always the case that when China shows up it is with good intention for the people they are showing up to ostensibly support,” the official said.

Bolsonaro, like Trump, has provoked outrage over the years with brash, swaggering statements, including telling a female lawmaker she was “not worth raping” and voicing nostalgia for the former military dictatorship’s use of torture.

The US official acknowledged “there has been some concern about older statements” but said Bolsonaro since the election has taken a “very strident and very forceful” approach to human rights in the region.

“The president-elect has been very forward-leaning on Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua in his defence of the human rights and the freedoms and democracy for the people in those countries,” she said.

Pompeo heads after Brazil to Colombia, where he will speak with President Ivan Duque about taking a firm line against Venezuelan strongman Nicolas Maduro.

AFP

Salah Enters Emery’s Top 5 After PSG Snub

Salah 'Almost 100%' Certain To Play In Egypt Opener, Coach Says
Egypt’s forward Mohamed Salah gestures as he takes part in a training session at Ekaterinburg Stadium in Ekaterinburg. Anne-Christine POUJOULAT / AFP

 

Arsenal manager Unai Emery believes Mohamed Salah is now among the world’s top five players, despite failing to sign him when he was in charge of Paris Saint-Germain.

The Gunners boss will be in opposition to the Liverpool forward when his Arsenal side faces the unbeaten Premier League leaders at Anfield on Saturday.

Egypt international Salah, 26, has scored 59 goals in 78 matches since arriving at Anfield from Italian club Roma before the start of the 2017/18 season.

Emery was coach of Ligue 1 champions PSG at the time and on Friday he admitted to being uncertain as to how Salah would cope with the pressure of playing for a major club.

“We spoke about the possibility to sign Salah to Paris St Germain when he was playing at Roma,” Emery said.

“We had some doubts — and then he signed for Liverpool and these doubts he has broken at Liverpool. Now, if you are speaking about the five top players in the world, one is Salah.”

Emery, asked about the nature of his reservations regarding Salah, added: “Can he take the performance into one big team?

“For example like PSG in Paris. And today I can say to you…if we signed him, we signed one player in the top five in the world.”

Emery said the signings of Salah and centre-back Virgil van Dijk had been central to Liverpool’s progress under Jurgen Klopp.

“I remember three years ago they had a problem in their defensive moments and bought some people — for example van Dijk — with good investment and the result is we are looking at them today and their progress,” he said.

“They are very strong in defence and also they are improving a lot when they bought Salah and now offensively they are a very big team.”

The Spaniard added: “I think the Premier League is now the best and most important competition in the world for the teams, with Spain, maybe Italy and Germany.

“But I think here are the best teams and players and now the leader in the table is Liverpool — and it is because they are doing things very well.”

AFP

Former Kenyan Olympic Chief Charles Mukora Dies

File photo of Charles Mukora

 

Former Kenyan Olympic chief and International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Charles Mukora, who was forced to resign from the IOC after the Salt Lake Winter Olympic bribery scandal has died aged 83, the Kenyan Olympic Committee (NOCK) said on Friday.

Mukora, who also served as head coach of the Kenyan team at the 1968 Olympic summer games in Mexico, was one of the six members forced to resign or expelled from the IOC in 1999 following the bribes-for-votes affair.

Salt Lake records showed that Mukora received direct payments of $34,650 but he strongly denied the accusations levelled against him.

“It is my considered opinion that I am an innocent victim of circumstances,” he said at the time.

A former athlete and footballer Mukora also worked in national politics and was elected member of parliament representing Laikipia East in 1992 in the first Kenyan multi-party elections since independence.

As the head coach in Mexico in 1968, he oversaw Kenya’s first-ever gold medals when Naftali Temu and Kipchoge Keino won the 10,000 and 1,500 metres respectively.

Kenyan sports officials paid tribute to Mukora who died after a long illness on Thursday.

“Charles Mukora was one the founding pillars of the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, and his tenure saw Kenya firmly established in the global Olympic movement,” said current NOCK chairperson Paul Tergat.

Athletics Kenya president Jack Tuwei highlighted the many different facets of Mukora’s contribution.

“This is one individual who served Kenya in different capacities internationally and in a very diligent manner. Kenya has lost a dedicated sports leader and servant,” he said.

AFP

‘Yellow Vest’ Protesters Target Macron’s Holiday Hideaway

A video grab taken from footage released by France Televisions on December 25, 2018, shows France’s president Emmanuel Macron. photo: Handout / FRANCE TELEVISIONS / AFP

 

If Emmanuel Macron is hoping for some holiday respite from the anti-government protests which have rocked France, he might want to avoid the presidential retreat on the Mediterranean coast.

Around 40 “yellow vest” demonstrators on Thursday tried to storm the medieval fort of Bregancon that serves as Macron’s summer retreat before being turned back by police, the mayor of nearby Bormes-les-Mimosas, Francois Arizzi, told AFP on Friday.

“It’s madness. For people who want more democracy, they should start by respecting other people’s property,” Arizzi said, saying many of the protesters had tried to infiltrate the fort by crossing private land.

The yellow vest movement has morphed from anger over fuel taxes to a broad rebuke of Macron, accused by critics of neglecting the rising costs of living for many in rural and small-town France.

Bregancon generated some unwanted headlines last summer when it emerged Macron was installing a 34,000 euro ($39,000) swimming pool at the fort, which already has its own private beach.

In theory, the site is currently unoccupied, though the president has refused to disclose where Macron and his wife Brigitte are spending the holidays.

Press reports have said the president cancelled a planned Christmas skiing trip, possibly at his long-time destination of La Mongie in the Pyrenees, not far from where his grandmother lived while he was growing up.

In Paris, where yellow vest protests have repeatedly descended into clashes with police in recent weeks, further demonstrations are planned on Saturday and New Year’s Eve.

Paris officials have decided to go ahead with the traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks display on the Champs-Elysees avenue — which usually attracts tens of thousands of people — despite the planned protest.

Paris police said in a statement Friday that strict security measures would be in place on the night, including bag and vehicle checks. Alcohol will be banned from the area.

Jeanne d’Hauteserre, mayor of the 8th district of Paris which includes the Champs-Elysees, told BFM television that at least 4,000 police and security forces would be on duty.

Yellow vest protesters “are welcome” to join the celebrations, she said.

Nearly 8,000 people are listed on Facebook as planning to attend the yellow vest New Year’s Eve demonstration, insisting it will be “festive and non-violent”.

AFP

Trump Has ‘Black And White’ World View, Says UK Foreign Minister

File photo of Britain’s Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt (C) phot:  ATTA KENARE / AFP

 

British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt on Friday criticised Donald Trump’s view of the world after the US president’s announcement of a withdrawal of American troops from the fight against the Islamic State group in Syria.

“President Trump makes a speciality of talking in very black and white terms about what’s happening in the world,” Hunt told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“We have made massive progress in the war against Daesh (Arabic acronym for IS), but it’s not over and, although they have lost nearly all the territory they held, they still hold some territory and there is still some real risk,” he said.

“We have to continue to be vigilant,” he added.

Trump announced the pull-out last week, stunning allies including Britain and France who warned that the fight against jihadists in Syria was not finished.

Some 2,000 US troops, joined by other foreign forces, have been assisting local fighters battling against IS.

Britain takes part in the coalition by carrying out air strikes in IS-held areas in Iraq and Syria.

During a visit to Iraq this week, Trump declared an end to the US role of being the world’s “policeman”.

“We don’t want to be taken advantage of any more by countries that use us and use our incredible military to protect them,” he said.

Asked what would happen if US troops also withdrew from Afghanistan, Hunt said: “We will continue to do everything we need to do to make sure the streets of Britain are safe.

“This is a security issue for the UK as well as for Afghanistan,” he said.

AFP

Arsenal’s Ex-Chairman Peter Hill-Wood, Dies At 82

In this file photo taken on October 26, 2006 Former Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood, who signed off on hiring a then largely unknown Arsene Wenger as manager, has died aged 82, the Premier League club announced on December 28, 2018. Odd ANDERSEN / POOL / AFP

Former Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood, who signed off on hiring a then largely unknown Arsene Wenger as manager, has died aged 82, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

The former Army officer and successful banker was chairman of the Gunners — the third member of his family to fill the role after his grandfather and father — from 1982-2013.

Under his chairmanship, Arsenal enjoyed two successful eras with starkly contrasting styles of play.

The conservative defensive strategy of George Graham secured the club two league titles, the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners’ Cup between 1986 and 1995.

However, the club was to enjoy a complete makeover when Hill-Wood and the board rubber-stamped their dynamic vice-chairman David Dein’s recommendation to hire Wenger in 1996.

The Frenchman was to revolutionise English football and in the process win three Premier League titles — including the ‘Invincibles’ season in 2003/04 — and four FA Cups.

“It is with deep regret that we announce the death of former chairman Peter Hill-Wood, at the age of 82,” read the club statement.

“Peter, who was a key part of the formation of the Premier League in 1992, was immensely proud of our successes on the pitch but equally those off it, most notably the move from Highbury to Emirates.

“He was instrumental in facilitating our smooth relocation during what was perhaps the most transformative period in the club’s existence.”

Hill-Wood — who is survived by his wife Sally and three children — eventually stepped down after over three decades in charge because of ill health.

“As we celebrate the unique achievement of 100 consecutive years in the top flight this season, the Hill-Wood family were at the helm for the lion’s share of this special century,” read the statement.

“A testament to their tenacity and judgment in ensuring we have remained a significant force in English football for so long.

“Peter and his family’s influence on the club cannot be understated.”

AFP

Follow Pogba’s Example, Solskjaer Encourages United Players

Manchester United’s Norwegian caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gestures at the end of the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on December 26, 2018. Oli SCARFF / AFP

 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has warned Manchester United stars Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez they should follow Paul Pogba’s example if they are to revive their careers at the club.

Lukaku and Sanchez suffered a dramatic loss of form in the last months of Jose Mourinho’s tempestuous spell in charge at Old Trafford, while Martial was criticised by the Portuguese coach before finding his scoring boots.

World Cup winner Pogba was another key player who became a symbol of the club’s decline in the final weeks before Mourinho’s two-and-a-half year tenure came to an end before Christmas.

But the 25-year-old Frenchman has responded superbly to Solskjaer’s first week in charge and made big contributions to a 5-1 win at Cardiff and 3-1 home victory against Huddersfield.

Lukaku missed those games, having been given ‘compassionate leave’ by the cub, as did Sanchez who has been sidelined since late November with a hamstring injury.

Solskjaer says Pogba deserves all the credit for his return to form.

“I cannot do anything for their performances on the pitch,” said Solskjaer.

“Paul has done it himself. It’s up to them when they get a chance. That’s the name of the game as a footballer, you’ve got to do it yourself.”

Solskjaer, whose side play out-of-form Bournemouth on Sunday, said he can advise the players but ultimately it is down to them to change their attitude.

“I gave some guidelines of course, on expression, freedom of expression, but that’s how I’ve always been as a manager. You can’t tell the players what to do in this position,” said the 45-year-old Norwegian.

“Just enjoy playing for this club, that’s the best time of your life.”

 Pogba among world’s ‘top players’ 

Pogba’s rejuvenated form has certainly been one of the key factors in Solskjaer’s first games in charge, after the midfielder’s much-publicised difficulties with Mourinho.

Solskjaer reiterated that Pogba is the sort of player United should build a team around.

“He’s one of the top, top players in the world,” said Solskjaer.

“Attacking wise, he’s done really well but he’s a big lad, can win headers, tackles.

“The attitude has been perfect and that’s key, you should be tired towards the end of every single game.

“He’s been top class and we’re looking to build a team around him, of course.”

Solskjaer also gave 18-year-old forward Angel Gomes an outing as a late substitute against Huddersfield and has repeated his vow to use youngsters in his spell in charge at Old Trafford.

Midfielder Jimmy Garner, who travelled to Cardiff last week, and forward Mason Greenwood — both 17 — are also prominent in the manager’s thoughts.

“As Sir Matt (Busby) once said, if they’re old enough, they’re good enough,” said Solskjaer.

“We’re built on that tradition, we need young players coming through, it’s important in the academy.

“I am looking to bring players through, we have top talents in the under-18s knocking on the door now.

“We’ve had a couple of injuries and fatigue has been involved and they’re ready to step up.”

AFP

Russia To Host Putin, Erdogan, Rouhani Summit In 2019

File photo

Moscow will early next year host the leaders of Russia, Iran and Turkey to discuss the Syrian conflict, Russia’s deputy foreign minister said Friday, after the United States announced it was withdrawing troops from the country.

“It’s our turn to host the summit… around the first week of the year. This will depend on the schedules of the presidents,” Mikhail Bogdanov was cited as saying by Interfax news agency.

The meeting will be the latest step in the Astana peace process — set up in early 2017 by Russia and Iran, who support President Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria, and opposition backer Turkey.

The Astana process was launched after Russia’s military intervention in Syria tipped the balance in the Damascus regime’s favour. It has gradually eclipsed an earlier UN-sponsored negotiations framework known as the Geneva process.

The last meeting between Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Iran’s Hassan Rouhani and Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan took place in Iran in September with the fate of the rebel-held Idlib province dominating the agenda.

US President Donald Trump in a shock announcement recently said he was pulling out some 2,000 American soldiers from Syria, claiming the Islamic State jihadists had been defeated.

AFP