National Book Review Essay Competition for Senior Secondary School Students (Season 4)
Grand Prize: A Sponsored Trip to Bouchercon 2019 Crime Fiction Convention Dallas, USA
The Channels Book Club is a program produced by Channels Television to promote education and a literary culture in Nigeria and beyond.
Since its inception, the show has promoted literary efforts; attracted and featured some of the most celebrated literary icons in Nigeria and showcased important literary events.
In 2013, The Channels Book Club, initiated a national book review essay competition for young Nigerians who are in senior secondary schools in Nigeria. Participants were asked to read Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart and write an essay styled review on it. The best three of the young competitors were selected by a panel of judges after a thorough shortlisting process. The winners were taken on a sponsored trip to the 2013 Frankfurt Book Fair in Frankfurt, Germany. Apart from visiting the book fair, they also visited important places like the Guttenberg Museum, the Nature Museum in Frankfurt, the Jahn Library of African Literatures at the Johannes Guttenberg University, Mainz, the Frankfurt Zoo and many other historically important sites in and around Frankfurt.
That unforgettable trip opened them up to the world of books, publishing and all sorts of literary ideas plus of course, the rich German culture. It was a life changing experience for them as much as it inspired thousands of other young Nigerians who never made the trip. Channels TV sent a crew to track the experiences of the girls during the trip; cover activities at the book fair and interview interesting international personalities. The competition was extensively advertised / promoted on Channels TV before, during and after the winners’ visit to Frankfurt.
The second season of the competition was organised in 2015 in partnership with GEFTY, an organisation founded by the First Lady of Ogun State, Mrs. Olufunke Amosun. Twelve winners were selected after competing by writing review essays based on ‘Green Education for the Youths’, a book written by Mrs. Amosun. The twelve students were taken on a tour around the United Kingdom to visit energy and environment focused organisations. It was a life transforming experience for the students.
The third season took place in 2018. This time, the young competitors were asked to read And After Many Days by Jowhor Ile and write an essay to review the book. Three winners emerged and got a sponsored trip to the 2018 Sharjah International Book Fair which has grown to be the third largest book fair in the world. The Sharjah International Book Fair is a ten-day international book event held annually in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. It was started in 1982. The students were fascinated by the vast number and variety of books. That season was sponsored by the Sharjah Book Authority, Sharjah Publishing City and the Nigerian Publishers Association. Apart from the book fair, the students went on to tour fascinating sites in Sharjah and Dubai.
Generally the Channels Book Club’s Literature Prize is aimed at:
• Promoting education
• Promoting a reading culture
• Promoting a culture of books
• Inspiring the winners and thousands of other young Nigerians
• Creating a cross cultural literary relationship with the host countries
• Promoting the brands and literary development efforts of the sponsors of the competition
COMPETITION PROCESS / SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
1. Candidates must be bona fide students of any Nigerian secondary school.
2. Candidates should read Jacqueline U. Agweh’s novel titled, A PELICAN OF THE WILDERNESS and write an essay that is not longer than 1,500 words to review the book. The essay should not have more than 10 references if references are used.
3. The essay document must have: a title, the candidate’s full name, and the candidate’s contact number.
4. Candidates must fill an entry form and also upload their essays, a scanned copy of a recent passport photograph, a scanned copy of the candidate’s last school academic report or score sheet on the Channels Television web page for this competition. Click HERE to fill the entry form and upload the essay and other requested documents.
5. The entry form should be filled and the essay plus other required documents uploaded on or before 30th of June, 2019.
6. By entering the competition, candidates agree to share the copyright of the submitted essay to Channels Television giving the station the right to reproduce, distribute and broadcast the essay in printed, electronic or any other medium, and in turn to authorise others to do the same.
7. Each candidate must promise that the essay is his or her original work. If it contains material such as previously published works, the original material must be clearly identified and acknowledged within the text. Candidates must not engage in plagiarism.
8. Channels Television will reserve the right to withhold the prizes if the standard of the essays submitted is not of sufficient merit.
NOTE: ALL ENTRIES WILL BE VALIDATED BY AN INDEPENDENT PANEL OF JUDGES. ONLY CANDIDATES WHO QUALIFY SHOULD APPLY. CANDIDATES MUST ENSURE THE ESSAYS ARE THEIR OWN ORIGINAL WORKS.
Click HERE to fill the entry form and upload the essay and other requested documents.
WHERE TO GET THE BOOK
A PELICAN OF THE WILDERNESS can be purchased at all Justrite Supermarkets, all Medplus Pharmacies and local book shops in Nigeria. The electronic version can be purchased on www. farafinabooks.com and amazon.com.
You can also call: 0807 736 4217 for orders.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
The deadline for submission of entries is 30th of June, 2019
• The competition will be supervised by a 3-member panel of judges. The judges are experts and active participants in the literary industry in Nigeria.
• Their task is to assess the quality of the essays submitted and the writers of the essays.
• They will also serve as umpires to ensure that the rules of the competition are adhered to.
The best three participants in this year’s competition will be sponsored on a trip to Bouchercon 2019. This year’s edition of Bouchercon marks its 50th year celebration. Bouchercon 2019 will take place at Dallas, Texas in November.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CBC LITERATURE PRIZE COMPETITION
Please email us at: email@example.com or call us on
08132696642 and 08091114809.
You can also follow the CBC social media handles for updates.
• Bouchercon ( www.bouchercon2019.com)