National Book Review Essay Competition for Senior Secondary School Students (Season 5)
Grand Prize: A Sponsored Trip to ThrillerFest 2020 New York, USA
The Channels Book Club is a program produced by Channels Television to promote education and a reading culture in Nigeria.
Since its inception, the show has promoted literary efforts, attracted and featured some of the most celebrated literary icons in Nigeria and showcased important literary events.
In 2013, The Channels Book Club, initiated a national book review essay competition for senior school students in Nigeria. Participants were asked to read Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart and write an essay styled review on it. The best three of the young competitors were selected by a panel of judges after a thorough shortlisting process. The winners were taken on a sponsored trip to the 2013 Frankfurt Book Fair in Frankfurt, Germany. Apart from visiting the book fair, they also visited important places like the Guttenberg Museum, the Nature Museum in Frankfurt, the Jahn Library of African Literatures at the Johannes Guttenberg University, Mainz, the Frankfurt Zoo and many other historically important sites in and around Frankfurt.
The competition has come a long way since then. Winners were sponsored to London in Season 2; Sharjah in Season 3 and Dallas in Season 4.
Right now, Season 5 is on and winners will be heading to the beautiful city of New York.
So, if you are a senior secondary school student in Nigeria, this is your play!
Read the requirements below and get on board.
COMPETITION PROCESS / SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
1. Candidates must be bona fide students of any Nigerian secondary school.
2. Candidates should read Yejide Kilanko’s novel titled, DAUGHTERS WHO WALK THIS PATH and write an essay that is not longer than 1,500 words to review the book.
3. The essay document must have: a title, the candidate’s full name, and the candidate’s contact number.
4. Candidates must fill an entry form and also upload their essays, a scanned copy of a recent passport photograph, a scanned copy of the candidate’s last school academic report or score sheet on the Channels Television web page for this competition. Click HERE to fill the entry form and upload the essay and other requested documents.
5. The entry form should be filled and the essay plus other required documents uploaded on or before 5th of April, 2020.
6. By entering the competition, candidates agree to share the copyright of the submitted essay to Channels Television giving the station the right to reproduce, distribute and broadcast the essay in printed, electronic or any other medium, and in turn to authorise others to do the same.
7. Each candidate must promise that the essay is his or her original work. If it contains material such as previously published works, the original material must be clearly identified and acknowledged within the text. Candidates must not engage in plagiarism.
8. Channels Television will reserve the right to withhold the prizes if the standard of the essays submitted is not of sufficient merit.
NOTE: ALL ENTRIES WILL BE VALIDATED BY AN INDEPENDENT PANEL OF JUDGES. ONLY CANDIDATES WHO QUALIFY SHOULD APPLY. CANDIDATES MUST ENSURE THE ESSAYS ARE THEIR OWN ORIGINAL WORKS.
Click HERE to fill the entry form and upload the essay and other requested documents.
WHERE TO GET THE BOOK
DAUGHTERS WHO WALK THIS PATH can be purchased at local book stores in Nigeria and from any MEDPLUS Shop across the country. It can also be purchased via Jumia. The electronic version can be purchased on Okada Books (www.okadabooks.com), amazon.com, Bambooks, Farafinabooks.com and Farafina Mobile App.
You can also call: 09090701069 for orders.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
The deadline for submission of entries is 5th of April, 2020
• The competition will be supervised by a 3-member panel of judges. The judges are experts and active participants in the literary industry in Nigeria.
• Their task is to assess the quality of the essays submitted and the writers of the essays.
• They will also serve as umpires to ensure that the rules of the competition are adhered to.
The best three participants in this year’s competition will be sponsored on a trip to ThrillerFest 2020 which is an annual conference of International Thriller writers, readers and publishers.
This year’s edition of ThrillerFest marks its 15th year. ThrillerFest 2020 will take place at The Hyatt Hotel, New York in July, 2020.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CBC LITERATURE PRIZE COMPETITION
Please email us at: [email protected] or call us on
08132696642 and 08091114809.
You can also follow the CBC social media handles for updates.