John Momoh is the Chairman of Channels Media Group and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Channels Television. He is a renowned broadcast journalist with a vast experience spanning more than four decades.
Before founding Channels TV in 1995, John worked variously as News Anchor, Senior Reporter and Producer for Nigeria’s National Radio and Television Stations.
In 25 years, he has gone from being a star employee to creating a multi-million dollar media enterprise, employing over 400 staff, across Nigeria and Africa, and reaching the World, with the same business model that analysts predicted would fail. His vision, passion and tenacity are balanced by a willingness to re-invent and pivot where necessary.
John Momoh’s commitment to excellence has seen him and his Companies nominated and winning awards and recognitions over several decades. These include:
- The Nigerian Media Merit Award for the “News Anchor of the Year”.
- Nigerian Union of Journalists Award for “Newscaster of the Year.”
- The Constituency for Africa Award for Excellence in Broadcasting (Washington DC, USA).
- Planet Africa Award for “Entrepreneurship”, Canada.
- And the ‘African Achievers’ Award.
John is an alumnus of the prestigious Harvard Business School and the Lagos Business School.
A graduate of the University of Lagos with a Masters degree in International Law and Diplomacy, and a B.Sc (with honours) in Mass Communication, John Momoh also received Diplomas from the Thomson Foundation Cardiff, Wales.
He is a fellow of the following institutions:
- Nigerian Leadership Initiative.
- Nigerian Guild of Editors;
- Nigerian Institute of Journalism,
- Nigerian Institute of Information Management
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators of Nigeria
- Institute of Credit Administration
John is the immediate past Chairman of the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria, BON the first private broadcaster to be so elected to lead the organisation.
He is a recipient many honors including;
- The “National Productivity Order of Merit” Award
- The National Honour of “Officer of the Order of the Niger” (OON).
- Lifetime Achievement Award, by the Nigerian Information Society.
- ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ by the Fate Foundation, Nigeria.
- Distinguished Alumni Award from the Lagos Business School.
- “ZIK Award for Entrepreneurship”
- “Entrepreneur of the Year Award”, by the Institute of Directors, Nigeria.
- “Entrepreneur of the Award” by Euro knowledge
John Momoh is a member of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences based in New York. He serves as a JUROR for the annual International ‘Emmy Awards’ and the ‘AIB’ Awards UK, organised by The Association for International Broadcasting.
His television station Channels TV is the only Nigerian and indeed African Broadcaster to have won the “Television Station of the Year” Award, a record Thirteen times, seven of them consecutively.
John is the President of the University of Lagos Alumni Association Worldwide. He is the immediate past President of the Chevening Alumni Association of Nigeria (CAAN). He also serves as a member of the Governing Councils of the University of Lagos and Elizade University.
A Red Cross Ambassador, John sits on the board of many non-governmental organisations including:
- PeaceTech Lab (United States institute of Peace, Washington DC).
- Constituency for Africa, Washington DC.
- Special Olympics Nigeria.
- University of Lagos Advancement Board.
- Elizade University
- Sickle Cell Foundation.
- Tristate Heart Foundation.
In recognition of his entrepreneurial dynamism, four Nigerian Universities have conferred honorary doctorate degrees on him. They include:
- “Doctor of Letters” by Afe Babalola University Ekiti, Ekiti State.
- ‘Doctor of Business Administration’ by Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.
- ‘Doctor of Science’ by Crescent University Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- “Doctor of Philosophy” by University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
John Momoh is happily married to Sola, also a broadcaster, and they are blessed with three children.